2795 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

P2000 G3 FC Snap Pools

MrMojito
Occasional Visitor

P2000 G3 FC Snap Pools

Hello,

We have a P2000 G3 FC which is running on the latest firmware version: TS251P006-02
There are 2 Enclosures, but on Enclosure 1 I have Snap Pools (SPA_01 and SPB_02), but I can't seem to find out what it really means and if I could delete it or not.
I'm concerned that I need to undertake action to resolve the difference between Enclosure 1 and Enclosure 2, but maybe there is a logic explanation for the difference?

For the information, there are running no backups at this moment, so I guess this isn’t caused by third-party backup application.

I have added an image to show what I mean/try to explain, hoping someone could point me out to more information about this subject or could resolve the question of me.

Thanks for everyone who is putting in his effort on this case.

Kind regards,
Martijn

Edit

I have found the solution how to delete the snap pool

Deleting snap pools
Before you can delete a snap pool you must delete any associated snapshots, and either delete the
associated master volume or convert the master volume to a standard volume.
To delete snap pools
1. Verify that no master volume or snapshots are associated with the snap pool.
2. In the Configuration View panel, either:
• Right-click the local system or Vdisks or a vdisk and select Provisioning > Delete Snap Pools.
• Right-click a snap pool and select Provisioning > Delete Snap Pool.
3. In the main panel, select the snap pools to delete.
4. Click Delete Snap Pool(s).
5. Click Delete to continue; otherwise, click Cancel. If you clicked Delete, a processing dialog appears. If
the task succeeds, an overview panel and a success dialog appear.
6. Click OK. As processing completes, the deleted items are removed from the Configuration View panel

But this give me no explantion if I should delete it or not.
What the consequences are when I delete it?
Do I need to powerdown the MSA or can I leave it powered on?
What are the downsides when I delete it and what are the benefits?

Could someone explain it a little bit more to me?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Re: P2000 G3 FC Snap Pools

When you delete a snapshot, all data uniquely associated with that snapshot is deleted and associated space in the snap pool is freed for use. Snapshots can be deleted in any order, irrespective of the order in which they were created.

From the Image you shared, it seems that the volumes were participating in a Remote or Local Replication. There are no snapshots at present. I can't verify if there is any scheduled or not from this image.

1. Check if this MSA participates in Remote or Local Replication. (with your management or System Engineer or whoever set this up)

2. If it doesn't then you don't need the associated snappool. You can delete that.

In order to delete these snappools. First you will need to convert the master volumes to a standard volumes via CLI.

a. Telnet/SSH to Controller Management IP (Same as SMU IP)

b. type:

# convert master-to-std vDisk-SPA_01
convert master-to-std vDisk-SPB_02
convert master-to-std vDisk-SPA2_03
convert master-to-std vDisk-SPB2_04

Once, all the Volumes are converted to Standard Volumes:

A) In the Configuration View panel, either:
• Right-click the local system or Vdisks or a vdisk and select Provisioning > Delete Snap Pools.
• Right-click a snap pool and select Provisioning > Delete Snap Pool.
In the main panel, select the snap pools to delete.
B) Click Delete Snap Pool(s).
C) Click Delete to continue; otherwise, click Cancel. If you clicked Delete, a processing dialog appears. If the task succeeds, an overview panel and a success dialog appear.
D) Click OK. As processing completes, the deleted items are removed from the Configuration View panel.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.