108873 Solutions
New Discussion

Proactive Monitoring of a SAN Attached HP MSA 1000 Disk Array

Cossy
Occasional Advisor

Proactive Monitoring of a SAN Attached HP MSA 1000 Disk Array

Hi Guys,

I need some advice...

I have three fibre channel attached HP MSA 1000 disk arrays. Two of these devices provide LUN's to a colection of VMWare servers and the other provides three LUNs to three physical Windows servers.

We also have a fourth Windows server that has visibility of all three disk arrays and that we use to configure the LUN's using the HP Raid configuration utility.

I want to know how I can proactively monitor these three devices and in particular receive alerts when disks fail.

I have been advised that HP Insight Manager should work with the respective agent residing on the Windows server that we use to manage and configure disks in the array. However, Im not sure as this server only has management access to the servers and does not use the disks locally itself.

Also, the fourth management server is not a HP server, it is a Dell. Not sure if this limits my options.

I'd appreciate any comments as these disks provide a critical service and I urgently need to monitor them.

Regards,

Cossy   

2 REPLIES 2
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proactive Monitoring of a SAN Attached HP MSA 1000 Disk Array

Once you configure HP System Insight Manager to monitor the MSA, it will report any hw failures to the email configured. It is not necessary to have the management server to have access to all the luns.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Cossy
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proactive Monitoring of a SAN Attached HP MSA 1000 Disk Array

Cheers Hari.

Are you saying that I need to download HP Insight Manager, install it on a server and then configure it to point to the Windows server that we use to configure LUNs on the MSA?

Do I need to install any particullar HP Agents to monitor the MSA?

Thanks again for your help.

Cossy