Netservers
1755409 Members
4118 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive failure on NetRAID-1 - not rebuilding?

James McMillan_4
Occasional Advisor

Drive failure on NetRAID-1 - not rebuilding?

Hi..

We have a failed drive in a RAID5 array on a Netserver TC4100.

The drive LED was red, we powered off the server and replaced the drive (yes I know it's hot swap but if you can power down the server I prefer to play safe, especially on older servers).

Powered the server back on and after a night, the LED is still red. Should it have rebuilt by now? Will it only rebuild if the drive was replaced with the server online?

I checked the NetRAID Assistant and the auto-rebuild was set to on..

Any help much appreciated..

Thanks, James
2 REPLIES 2
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: Drive failure on NetRAID-1 - not rebuilding?

Hi James,

In this case, you would need to leave the server powered on when you replace it. If you down the server and replace the drive "cold", the controller doesn't know that you've replaced the drive so it stays in a logically failed state. The best course of action now would be to either reseat the drive hot to tell the controller that you've replaced it, or to choose the rebuild option from the NetRAID Assistant by right-clicking on the failed drive.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Good luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. Please encourage participation in the forums by assigning points to rate the responses.
I am King...of my apartment.
James McMillan_3
Occasional Advisor

Re: Drive failure on NetRAID-1 - not rebuilding?

Hi Sean

Thanks for the help.. it's NetWare so I downloaded and installed the NetRAID Assistant for NetWare and manually rebuilt the drive that way - worked a treat..

Daft thing about the download tho' - it won't install from any volume, just the A: - crappy install routine - took ages to find a PC with a floppy in to copy!!

Cheers, James

PS - I've not given points before and only gave 1 by mistake - sorry 'bout that..