7119 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP NetServer LH6000r - no video signal

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian_392

HP NetServer LH6000r - no video signal

I bought this machine from a company that is closing business, plugged in two power cords, connected a mouse, a keyboard, a monitor, and a netowrk cable. Next I pushed the power button at the front. Unit turns on - fans come on, hard disk clicks a few seconds. CD ROM blinks, network socket light turns green. But no signal to the monitor. I pressed several buttons on the front panel, did not get any result except saw "event log full".

I am familar with the PCs (use them everyday, built a few, upgraded a dozen), this is the first time I ever saw a server. Can someone give me some pointers? Is there a specific procedure to boot up LH6000r? Does it need warming up for 30 minutes? Does it need a different type of monitor than the PCs?

Thanks

Brian

---------------------------------
follow up:

I am begining to have some ideas. I figured out how the buttons on the front panel work. Was able to make it display system info. However the info does not match the reality inside the box. Maybe there has been reset?

major differences:

Panel says: 1 CPU 700Mhz, actual 2 CPUs 550MHz

Penel says: 8 x 256 RAM, actual 2 x 1G RAM

New question is, how do I change the configuration so the system knows what it has?

Thanks
Brian
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP NetServer LH6000r - no video signal

Brain,

You may need to clear the system configuration if a program has corrupted the configuration, or if incorrect settings made in the Setup utility have made the display unreadable. DO you have a User Manual? If not, I can look and see if we have one on file, because I know HP has remove a lot of the L series documentation (do not know why).
You need to locate the switch that is noted as Clear Configuration. Check the Reference Card on the back of the cover. It is normally Off.

To clear the system configuration, the procedure is the same for the rack-mount and the pedestal HP NetServers once you gain access to the system board assembly.
1. Log off all users and gracefully shut down the network operating system according to directions in your NOS documentation.
2. Power down the HP NetServer.
3. Disconnect the power cords and cables and, if necessary, label each one to support reassembly.
CAUTION The power supplies will continue to provide standby current to the NetServer until the power is disconnected.
4. For both rack-mounted and pedestal models, remove the covers to gain access to the system board assembly.
NOTE In the LH 6000r, this assembly is under the right cover.
While you can clear the system configuration in the rack or in the pedestal, it is recommended that you remove the system board assembly to perform configuration changes.
5. Move the configuration switch, switch 5 on the LH6000 system board, to the "ON = CLEAR CONFIG" position.
6. Plug in the power cords, and turn on power to the HP NetServer. The following message appears:
The configuration has been cleared. Set the Clear Config switch to the
OFF position before rebooting.
7. Turn off power to the HP NetServer and unplug the power cords.
8. Return switch on the system board to the OFF position.
9. Reconnect cables and power cords to the HP NetServer.
10. Close up the server.
11. Restore HP NetServer to normal operation.
12. Turn on power to the HP NetServer. The error message may be displayed:
0012-34: Incorrect System Configuration
13. Press the [F2] function key and answer Yes to save the configuration, then exit the Setup utility.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Brian_392

Re: HP NetServer LH6000r - no video signal

Thanks, e4Services!

That worked. - now I just need to configure the RAID and install a OS.

No, I don't have a manual. I searched HP site did not find one. If you can find one in your archive, I'd be much appreciated.

Thanks again.