New Discussion юеВ

LD Pro Hard drive not accepting data

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony Chambers
Occasional Contributor

LD Pro Hard drive not accepting data

Still enjoying this toy...

I recently got a copy of the Netserver Navigator CD from a friend in England (thanks!) and it's helped me learn more about the server by going through diagnostics. The server seems to have passed all tests that I've put it through. The scsi is set up correctly and scsi bios discovered the 9.1 gig hd on its own. Problem is that when I try to install the utility partition (or whatever it's called) I get an error saying it can't be created. Almost like it knows where the hard drive is, but is write protected.

I don't know a lot about scsi (in school for networking) but I thought I'd experiment by an attempted install of win2k, to find that when it asks for what destination the OS will be installed on, it says no storage found. I press the down select key to get a blue screen.

I've ran the hard drive test and it says it passed.

I've searched about 40 pages of HP's forums and have found very few people to have this server, or at least need help with it.

If anyone knows how to help me, please reply. This server is purely a toy. No rush, I'm learning off of it for a hobby.
4 REPLIES 4
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: LD Pro Hard drive not accepting data

Hi Anthony, it's your friend in England again. What seems to happen on these machines is that if they gave been used for another operating system there seems to be something written somewhwere that wont let you create te partiton you require, so what I do to get over the problem is to do a low level format of the disc and then start over. This invariably seeems to allow a partition to be created. You will need to go into the scsi bios at boot time and select the utilities to start the format or if you have one of the PC utilities you can use the format from that
cheers and thanks for the kind e-mail
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Anthony Chambers
Occasional Contributor

Malvin,

Thanks for replying so fast! This is the error I get after I go into Create Utility Partition:

Create Utility Partition. Version A.00.03
PARTITION NOT CREATED.
ERROR UPBIOS Error code = 320h
Press any key to continue...

I can't find a way to enter the scsi bios at start up. If there is a way, please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time,
Tony
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anthony, in the service reference guide around page 34 are the instructions for getting into the system. I am enclosing the link for all the LDpro manuals and the one that you need specifically is the Volume 2(Mid Range) service guide

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50444

cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Anthony Chambers
Occasional Contributor

Malvin,

Turns out when I got the server, the embedded SCSI cable was not connected correctly. It was attached directly to the SCSI cable connected to Hot Swap Box then up to the CDROM. It was all seen by the navigator programs, but wasn't allowed to write to it. I can now get into the hard drive. The person had win2k installed. The links you gave me were very helpful though. Thank you friend!

Anthony