1758563 Members
1678 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LH3 Processor Upgrade

John Rogers_2
Occasional Advisor

LH3 Processor Upgrade

What is the exact specification of the processor required to upgrade my LH3 450Mhz netserver? I believe it is fitted with one XEON PII 450Mhz, stepping B0. Is that correct and how can this be verified?
5 REPLIES 5
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

The LH3 does not support XEON processors. The LH4 does. Are you sure on the information given?
Timothy Ma
Advisor

The LH3 can be upgraded to P III's (500,550 & max 600 MHz) but must have the following specifications 512 cache/100 Mhz bus and 2.0 volt. You have options but not with Xeon processors unless you upgrade the motherboard to an LH4 which can be done.

You can also add an additional matching CPU if you think it would help (need an additional VRM). I upgraded an LH3 from P II 400's to PIII 500's (matching pair of CPU's in terms of specifications) but had some problems with the firmware. In summary, the max upgrade would be to two P III 600 Mhz with you current setup. Timothy
John Rogers_2
Occasional Advisor

Many Thanks Theo and Tim, I have 2 matched PIII 550Mhz cpus' of the spec. you reccomend and would appreciate more detailed instructions on the dual processor upgrade using NT4.0 Server as part of Microsoft Back Office product version 5.5. I have read Tim's previous informative post on Dual Processor ugrade for a LH3 nteserver. However, has anyone actually achieved a successfuly dual processor upgrade on a LH3 and got Microsoft NT to work properly, registering both processors? If so, please email (je.rogers@ntlworld.com)me a How To Instructions!!
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

There is an unsupported patch available from microsofts webpage that is suppose to update the HAL from single proc to multi. It is not supported by HP or by MS. I have heard both positive and negative results.

I would recommend a reinstall of the OS and restore from backup.
John Rogers_2
Occasional Advisor

For anyone considering daul processor upgrades and want NT4 to recognize both processors; take a look at http://www.jsiinc.com/suba/tip0400/rh0466.htm for a detailed instructions.

Thanks again Tim and Theo for their help.

John Rogers