Netservers
1760034 Members
3522 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver LC 3 How to connect the TAPE Drive?

Mark2_1

Netserver LC 3 How to connect the TAPE Drive?

Hi there,
i habe problem with my TAPE Drive ( C1537A ) in a Netserver LC3.
There is a 50-pin Narrow Ultra SCSI connector on the Drive.
If i connect the the Drive to the RAID Backplane which is connectet to the Megaraid, i can see it in the Megaraid BIOS config but not in Gentoo.
Can anybody exactly explain hot to connect the Drive on the Hardwareside?
2 REPLIES 2
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver LC 3 How to connect the TAPE Drive?

Hi Mark2

If you have a raid controller and u have the tape drive connected to it then I would recommend to disconnect it and have that tape drive direcvtly connected to the SCSI port on the I/O board (backplane) which is indicated in this link under "Backplane"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11685/lpn11685.pdf
You need a terminated SCSI cable for this device

If you have it already on the scsi port on the I/O board (Backplane) then boot the server to CTRL + C (if this doesn't work CTRL + A) and make sure the tape drive is not disabled on the scsi BIOS

If you have don't have a raid controller and the tape drives is connected with the hard drive on the SCSI controller then make sure the SCSI ID for the tape drive is properly set and not conflicting with any of the hard drives ID numbers ...Usually ID 3 is for tape drives...You might have to consult thedocumentation on the tape drive how to set the scsi ID to 3

I hope this helps and good luck

Reagrds
Amha Kassa
Mark2_1

Re: Netserver LC 3 How to connect the TAPE Drive?

Hi Amha,

it's not possible to connect the tape drive to the scsi port on the I/O Backplane because there is only one 68-pin connector. On this port there is the RAID container connected.
The RAID Backplane gives you 4 possibilities to connect Cables (you can see it on http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11685/lpn11685.pdf
Hot-Swap Model)
2 Ports 50-pin and 68-pin IN
2 Ports 50-pin and 68-pin OUT
but no Documention.
Nobody had a Netserver with a 50-pin SCSI Tape Device in it?