Netservers
1759468 Members
3014 Online
108883 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New install of NT server

Allan Ptasznik

New install of NT server

We just bought 2 new servers, an LC2000 U3 and an LH6000 U3. The NT install goes ok, but the service pack (5 or 6) never completes. Task manager shows that Regsvr32.exe is running using 99% cpu utilization. Killing this task completes the install, but after rebooting the same thing occurs, with Regsvr32.exe launching twice. Afterwards, everything looks normal.

The question is, is everything installed properly?

Thanks, Allan
6 REPLIES 6
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Allan,

Have you seen this from MS? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q249873

It references this issue on NT4 after SP5

Also when you installed NT, did you install off the NAV CD or did you do a manual install? If you did a NAV install look to see if you have any Agents installed for toptools and try uninstalling them as well.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Allan Ptasznik

Greg,

I checked the link, but my problem is that I do not get an error message. I actually get nothing, the machine just sits there until I kill the task.

Also, I did do the automated install. Are you saying that before I try to install any service pack, I should un-install Toptools?

Allan
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Allan,

I would definately unistall the Agents as they could also be the cause of the cpu itilization. Are you going to be using toptools on the server? If not I would leave the agents uninstalled. Otherwise make sure you are at 5.51 version of agents. You can verify it under the readme of the agents. Try uninstalling the agents and see if that resolves your issue.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Allan Ptasznik

Greg,

You are a genius! It worked. I am now experimenting with W2K and my SQL 6.5 install (which was the original goal) to see if that was the cause of SQL not installing properly too.

How do I know that installing 5.51 of Toptools won't screw up the installation?

Allan
Chris Blumenshine
Trusted Contributor

You won't know until you try. The agents are funny things and seem to have random issues on random servers. There are a lot of known issues with older agents and very few known issues with newer ones. If you don't plan on using the agents, just don't install them again.
There's always room for J-E-L-L-O
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Allan,

What version of Agents did you have before you uninstalled them? Are you going to be using a TopTools Card for remote management? If you are then as Chris said we won't know until you try them. If you are not going to be using TopTools Remote Control card but just want access to the system status and event log from inside the NOS then I would install Instant TopTools which requires no agents. You can get ITT here: http://h20004.www2.hp.com/keeper_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix70272.html

Good luck,
Greg
Lets Roll!