108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SYNCHRONIZING DISKS HP LP1000R RAID1

Sven Verboort
Occasional Contributor

SYNCHRONIZING DISKS HP LP1000R RAID1

Hello there,

We have a HP LP1000R Netserver, specs:
1024MB RAM, two cpu's (PIII 1133MHZ.Two hot swap 9,1 ultra3 wide disks. A netraid adapter 1 channel ultra3.

We also have a third disk which serves as a backup in case of a disaster. We keep that disk in a vault. Last week we had a disaster and I had to use the "backup disk" I removed the 2 other disks and booted with the "backup" disk. Everything worked and still works fine. The thing is, right now, we're only running on one disk. I want to synchronize those 2 other disks as well with the one that is running now, in order to get a new "backup disk"
How do I configure the 2 "error" disks to synchronize with the disk currently running? In the netraid utility their status tells me "failed" How do I get them back online?

regards,
Sven Verboort
4 REPLIES 4
Eric D-J
Advisor

What do you mean disaster? Have your disks been killed?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

How was the "backup disk" created? Was this configured as a RAID 0? If so, these steps should allow you to end up with a RAID 1 again.

1. Power down. Remove the single backup disk
2. Access Ctrl-M (Express Tools) during POST.
3. DELETE any existing RAID arrays from CONFIGURE - VIEW/ADD/DELETE. Save & exit. Do not reboot.
4. Power down. Reinstall the single backup disk
5. Access Ctrl-M during POST. It should now report a single RAID 0 array.
6. The RAID 0 can be converted to a RAID 1. Install the second hard drive, and use NetRAID Assistant from Windows (what OS is installed?) or boot from the HP Navigator CD to run NetRAID Assistant.

If you have any questions, either email HP or use our HP Instant Support Active Chat:

NetSrvTech_Support@hp.com

http://instantsupport.hp.com/euserv/jsp/hpinstantsupport.jsp
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Sven,

I'm not sure what you have going on out there.

From the sounds of it you have a Raid 1 with a hot spare. If you pulled one hot spare and one of your Raid 1 hdds you would still be up and running as you are now. If you pulled the two Raid 1 hdds and not your hotspare you would have booted to NO OS FOUND. If your Backup disk is not in the server with your primary hdd's then what you would need to do is add capacity or change from raid 0 to 1 and that will rebuild your array or "Sync" them in your terms.

If you are in the first scenario then you just need to reinsert your hdd and start a rebuild and reconfigure a hotspare.

What you need to tell us is the config:
boot into ctrl-M and write the physical config:
Ch 0
ID 0 online or failed and a00-00
ID 1 failed a00-01
ID 2 online a01-00 ect

Also please post your LD 0, LD 1 properties
Otherwise we are just guessing at what you are doing.

If you are in the second scenario then still post your info and we can try to help.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Holger_4
Occasional Advisor

Hallo Sven,

you shoul insert one of the two disks into the server and rebuild it. If autorebuild is enabled it is possible that it starts. If not you can initialize manual start of the rebuild. After rebuild is finish you can remove one of the disks and do the same with the second. YOU NEVER SHOULD USE THE MAKE ONLINE BUTTON IN THIS SITUATION.