1754323 Members
2335 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows XP NC6000 internal Wireless Network card problem

Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Windows XP NC6000 internal Wireless Network card problem

Ok, this is really strange, so I am mainly looking for ideas why or ways to debug.

I have a wireless network at home using a Linksys BEFW11S4 router set with WEP. I have an Omnibook 900 with Linksys wireless network card without a problem.

I just got an NC6000 with an internal wireless network card. I can configure the card to point to my router, and it will find it, and get an IP address off the DHCP server. However, it will not connect to anything, and I cannot ping anything outside of loopback, and will only occasionally return a packet when pinging the gateway. This is true even if WEP is turned off on the router and the laptop. I can put the Linksys PCMCIA card into the NC6000, and configure it with WinXP and the full Key without a problem as well.

Now, where it gets odd is, I can connect to another linksys router, and be able to get data. I don't think it is my router (Omnibook works), or the NC6000 (works with the other, as well as with a wired connection).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian
10 REPLIES 10
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows XP NC6000 internal Wireless Network card problem

looks like the internal wirless card is the problem..

Ganesh
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

I'm kinda thinking it is a bad WEP on the wireless card as well. That might account for it as well. I can't find much on this card to know what known problems there are.

Brian
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Did both, but no help for it. Thanks for the idea though.

Brian
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

With your system, you have a choice of: "integrated 802.11 a/b/g wireless LAN or Intel├В┬о Pro Wireless 2100 Network Connection 802.11b. Optional support for Bluetooth├в ┬в"

So... What sort of card is it? 802.11a, b, g?
What's your router?
Note that: a and b won't talk, g will talk with b but not a.

There are some driver updates regarding wireless at HP:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/locate/63_5837.html

Also, on MS's update site, under the optional updates, is a driver update for wireless (KB826942) "Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) support is now available for Microsoft Windows XP".
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

The card identifes itself as a b/g card. Bluetooth is not enabled as far as I know. The drivers were updated today, but did not have any effect.

WPA is something different (newer option). I haven't used it, but might see if the router can take it (don't think that it can).

Thanks,

Brian
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Just a thought... Your access point (BEFW11S4) is 802.11b Can you set the card to "b" only, rather than b/g (thinking it might be set for auto-negotiate and getting confused).

Jon
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

I'm making the assumption that you have already set the card to the same output settings as your access point, and entered the SSID and password?

Are you using encryption (WEP)?
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Jon,

I have turned off the 5.4ghz line in the configuration tool. The laptop can connect to another linksys router without WEP, so I'm thinking the problem is there.

Thanks,

Brian