New Discussion юеВ

Re: 32-bit to 64-bit on D370

SOLVED
Go to solution
Remy_1
Occasional Advisor

32-bit to 64-bit on D370

Hi,

I have a D370 machine running HP-UX 11.0, but only supporting 32-bit. Is it possible to convert it to 64-bit without a clean install?

Thanks,
Remy
8 REPLIES 8
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Remy,

If you could, I would not suggest it, because you could end up spending more time trying to fix things. A clean install ensures that you get all of the proper libraries, utilities, and drivers needed to support 64bit.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

You need to upgrade firmware on D-Class before you upgrade it to 64 bit. A clean installation of 64 bit would be ideal way to upgrade.

Look at this Checklist thread
http://us-support3.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=979da0d306bade6f3f/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000058931458

-USA..
Good Luck..
ian Dennison
Regular Advisor

Agreed, 110 percent.

Have never performed an upgrade to 64 bit, always a re-install of OS & Application followed by customisation/configuration of applications. Smooth as silk every time!

If you are concerned about reversion strategy if it all goes wrong, why not ask for some new servers, then build and cutover to the new server, then cascade the servers down the line upgrading each system in turn!

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Lets do it to them before they do it to us! www.fred.net.nz
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There are actually just a couple of dozen files that change for a 64 bit upgrade. It's important to inventory your I/O cards (hint: ioscan -kf) and look for EISA cards. Most EISA cards are no longer supported in 64bit HP-UX. Check the /usr/share/doc/11.00RelNotes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In my environment, we had a D250/1 (32-bit) upgraded to a D380/2 (64-bit).

Apart from the EISA to PCI bus migration mentioned above, there is also the graphics card you will want to take special notice of. The graphics card in my D250 was not compatible during the upgrade to D380. Both the hardware engineer and me burnt an overnight to identify the cause. No one had factored in this into the hardware requirements.

There had been other issues during the upgrade but they were fixed fairly quickly, unlike the graphics card which we had no notion that it was incompatible. The lesson learnt is that make sure you perform a complete preparation groundwork before embarking on the upgrade.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
squirrel_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

currently I'm in need to dig out this old thread, as it describes my problem.
I have a D370/2 which only offers 32-Bit during clean installation, regardless if I'm using 11.00 oder 11.11.
What could be the reason for it?
Unsupported EISA cards in 64-Bit?

Thanks,
Ebbi
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It is probably a firmware issue. I believe there is a minimum firmware version that is required for for 64-bit HP-UX.

squirrel_2
Regular Advisor

Hmm...
I regard that as nearly impossible, as I already have the latest (last) version 42.11.