New Discussion юеВ

Re: As root, can't rlogin from particular server without password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

when I rlogin to a machine and it requires me to enter the password even though it shouldn't, I do it and use w to look, what the machine thinks, I am coming from. This I put in .rhosts and /etc/hosts.

greetings,

Michael
Jay Core
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all who replied - still no solution - I'm going to break down and call the Response Center.

Joe
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Joe,

There are quite a few messages in this thread. This suggestion probably might have been given.

Try enabling logging with inetd and observe as what this server is getting in as.

inetd -l (on host9)

tail -f /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log (on host9)

from host7, now do a 'rlogin host9' and now see what system name is appearing in the syslog and make sure that system name is specified in your .rhosts.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Kenneth Platz
Esteemed Contributor

When you login to your system from host7 and host8, run the command "who -u am i", and use that hostname in your .rhosts.

It may be that you are on a multihomed system, and coming in over an IP address you're not necessarily expecting.
I think, therefore I am... I think!
Jay Core
Frequent Advisor

Kenneth - no luck - only coming up as root, which I already knew about - thanks, though.

Sridhar - congrats! This tracking option pointed me to the problem! An old/invalid IP showed up in the syslog after I enabled logging - now I can troubleshoot it - thanks again.

Joe