New Discussion юеВ

Can TCP/IP Packet keep alive?

SOLVED
Go to solution
robin99
Occasional Advisor

Can TCP/IP Packet keep alive?

Hi All,
We are using HP-UX 11.11 for servers and consoles. Between them, network configuration is redundant. It means that there are an active n/w line and a standby n/w line between them. When the active n/w line is disable, the standby line is activate after about a minute. However my console try to transmit data to the server during the n/w failover and the data is lost. We can't change n/w configuration and an application. The application uses TCP/IP for transmission of data so I guess that I can solve the problem if I change TCP/IP option in HP-UX.
Are there anyone who know the change?
Thanks,
Hak Min Kim
4 REPLIES 4
Vivek Bhatia
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Can TCP/IP Packet keep alive?

Hi Hak

This is how you can see the current value and then change it with -set option.

ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval

Have a look at this link which will give lots of options to have a look.

http://www.starquest.com/Supportdocs/techStarLicense/SL002_TCPKeepAlive.shtml

Thanks
Vivek
rick jones
Honored Contributor

tcp_time_wait_interval has nothing to do with how long TCP will wait for its data to be ACKed before it aborts the connection. That setting only controls how long a closed TCP connection remains in TIME_WAIT as protection against data corruption from old duplicate TCP segments wandering around the network.

Frankly, unless someone has reduced tcp_ip_abort_interval a default HP-UX setup should have TCP connections remain alive even for a one minute interruption in connectivity.

I suspect that something more may be involved.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
robin99
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,
Thanks for your advices.
Frankly, I didn't expect that I can solve the problem if I change ndd parameter. Anyway, I should talk with my S/W developer and find another way.

Thanks again.
robin99
Occasional Advisor

The best way is to change application. I should talk with my sw developer.