108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing Monitored Instances of Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Changing Monitored Instances of Oracle

I have a 2 node cluster monitoring an oracle instance called oracle_arpd, my dilema is that the customer tells me they have to redo their database from a 7bit database to an 8bit database. The customer's dba created a new database and named it oracle_inpd. To get serviceguard to monitor this new instance instead of the old one, do I just go in and edit the pkg control script & conf files to point to the new instance or do I have to create a new package and remove the old package. Which approach would be the easier to use.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Changing Monitored Instances of Oracle

One assumes you are discussing a srevice that is run to monitor the database?
If so, just change the reference to whatever it is you are monitoring in the relevant files on ALL nodes that will run the service. If this is inside a script, then you will not even need to re-apply the binary.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

You only need to change the old one to monitor the new daemon.
But, if I were you, I would stop the cluster and start it again afterwards.
Make some tests like:
- killing the process
- moving the package
- halt the node
- etc.
good luck.
P.S.: If you can give more detailed information I think we can help you more.
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

If you need to change something like adding new files to conf. or changing the cmclconf.ascii, then you'll need to apply the new conf.
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Melvyn

This is located in a script, so if I change all occurrances of oracle_arpd to oracle_inpd that should do it. The one question I have is if they have used new disk or VG names & LVOL names, then I have to change all of those reference points as well. I believe that I am on the right track, just confirm that for me. Second, I don't think it would hurt to re-apply the binary file, if so let me know.

Thanks.
Stephen Bouzan
Frequent Advisor

The DBA has changes the ORACLE_SID. You have to update you oracle_pkg.conf file to reflect the changes along with any changes to the volume groups and database mount points. Run a cmcheckconf to verify your package scripts. If ok then run cmapplyconf to recompile the binaries. The scripts are used to build the binaries, you have to do this for your changes to take effect.

Refer to the proper documentation like Managing MC/Service Guard (#B3936-90024) for the correct syntax.

Good Luck...

False sense of well being.