1755765 Members
2910 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: command vgchange

Gabriele FACCHINI
Frequent Advisor

command vgchange

I have a cluster whith service guard formed by 4 nodes and a package pkg01 whit a vg01 (lun 7 GB xp256). When i destroy this vg to recreate it whit lun 28Gb i can't to make a vgchange -a e vg01 on other nodes different to primary node. The message reported by OS is:
system:/#>vgchange -a e vgoragp
vgchange: Couldn't set the unique id for volume group "vg01":
File exists
What can i do to resolve it?
Gabriele Facchini
4 REPLIES 4
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

first remove this vg on the other nodes by using vgexport

then export this vg (vgexport) on the primary and then
import (vgimport) it on the other boxes.

after this you should be able to activate this vg on all nodes.

He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
did your systems(which are on cluster) has MC/ServiceGuard softwate, if not you need to install this. then try vgchange
never give up
Carsten Krege
Honored Contributor

It could be possible that /dev/vgoragp and /dev/vg01 have the same minor number for the group device file.

# ls -l /dev/*/group

In this case you need to choose a free minor number (0xMM0000 MM=Minor number 00-ff). If you don't have a duplicate minor number, you should either try to reboot and to retry or to use a different minor number (my theory in this case is that the LVM memory structures were not fully cleaned up and can only freed by reboot or you workaround by choosing a new minor)

Note that minor number of shared VGs must be consistent accross nodes. You might need to vgexport/vgimport on the alternate nodes.

Carsten
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- HhGttG
Gabriele FACCHINI
Frequent Advisor

i have made a vgexport on all nodes , i have made a mknod vith a minor number equal on all nodes and different by other vg and i have made a vgimport.
Gabriele Facchini