1755611 Members
3689 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Delay in shutdown of SGuard Package

Neale Machin
Advisor

Delay in shutdown of SGuard Package

We recently had a delay in the scheduled failover of a pkg which appears to have been during the customer_defined_halt_cmds . The delay was for 2hrs 12 mins during the night and all that service guard reported appears normal in the logs apart from the delay

Upon investigation it appears that the application guys mail themselves within one of the scripts with details of the shutdown. This mail goes via a Lotus Notes mailserver which was down during this glitch.

Has anyone come across this sort of hang because we are leaning towards this being the source of the delay.
Just cos I look after Unix Boxes doesnt mean I wear sandals
6 REPLIES 6
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Delay in shutdown of SGuard Package

Hi Mark,

I think that all the commands and scripts that run in the halt package must be run as quick as posible. Then you can put the mail commands in a script and this script run in batch mode by agregate and "&" at the end. With this structure if the mail can not send the halt package run without hang.

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Neale Machin
Advisor

Justo,
The mail is already run using a nohup and an &
None of the scripts have been recently changed. The only differing point is that the Lotus Notes box was down, which is why we are leaning towards that
Thanks mark
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What does your package log file say? Are there any errors flagged? You may like to post up your log file /etc/cmcluster/pkg_name/pkg_name.log

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Neale Machin
Advisor

Steven,
The package log has no errors in it at all , It is the same as every time previous except for the delay in one of the scripts which in the app teams infinite wisdom has no time stamps in it.
Thanks Mark
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Perhaps you may do a ping to the lotus server before send the mail, if the lotus server is up then send it, if not, not send the mail.

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

The mailing should not have been a problem. The packge should have submitted the mail to the system and the system should have sent the mail to the user. How is your mailing configured on the packge side. what you should do is create a mail file and then use mailx/sendmail to send the mail. The packge can then submit the mail to the system and proceed with the shutdown and the system can send the mail.

Hope this helps.

Regds