108873 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

File system full

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lora Ganeva
Regular Advisor

File system full

I have a HP-UX 10.20. There is a message in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log, reporting that my /home filesystem is 100% full and it the output of "bdf" command shows its full, but when I look thhrough the files in thi f.s., there are few files of small size.What could be the cause?
Every help wolud be appreciated.
P.S.And we all pray for America
22 REPLIES 22
David Almada_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: File system full

hi lora
you may have a core file,try to use the comand
find /home -name core

david
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

First thing I would do is a du -ks * in /home to see which of the home directories is taking up the most space. Then I would look for any core files ( which can be created by users that run programs out of their home directory) and either remove them, or move them to a location where there is space available, be careful of filling other fs. send out notifications to the offending parties to clean up there files, or you can do it for them. These files can be restored if you guessed wrong from a backup (if you have done so). hope this is a good starting point for you. Another note, what types of messages were in syslog prior to the full fs messages? Anything out of the ordinary? Just a thought.

Good luck
Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Richard Woolley
Frequent Advisor

try:
cd /home
du -k .
it gives output in Kb of all the directories under home, look for something unusual, if not use a bit of maths and compare the figure at the end of the output to the bdf.
Lora Ganeva
Regular Advisor

Hi,
I do not have a core file and anything unusual in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log.The only unusual is that the total size of all files in /home directory is 130Kbytes and the file system is 12Mbytes.The output of the command:
cd /home
du -k
8 lost+found
132 /data(directory with the files)
141 .
Any ideas?
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Lora,

1. First of check the sizes of the files/directories in /home

du -ks /home/* |sort -nr

(would sort the sizes in reverse order, you the highext user would be at the end of the list)

2. Look for core files
find /home -name core -exec ll {} \;

If you are certain you don't need the core files in /home, (check with the users first)
find /home -name core -exec rm {} \;

3. Sometimes even though you remove a file, if a process is writing to it the free space is not recovered.
do a
fuser -cu /home
to see which processes are writing to the filesystem.

-HTH
Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Lora Ganeva
Regular Advisor

I do not have core files.
And my greatest problem is that the toatl size of my files is about 10 times than the file system size.How could be full??
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

I agree with Ramesh; do a du -ks /home/* | sort -nr to get the highest directories and also a n fuser -cu to find any processes that may be killing you. After that, go into those directories and look for logs, software, tar files, anything that could be put to tape or somewhere else. Stepping back for a moment, you said that your /home is only 12MB? Is there any possibility for increasing this? what type of server do you have?

Let us know what you find.

Regards,
Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Marcin Wicinski
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

bdf sometimes shows incorrect informations about fs usage. If its possible umount /home and mount again. Mayb some proceses keep /home - check it with fuser.

Later,
Marcin Wicinski
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Lora,

Sometime even though a file has been removed via the rm command, if there are processes still holding the file open, the file will continue to take up space on the filesystem.
You would have to do a fuser -cu /home (assume that home is a separate filesystem) and then try to determine which process might be holding on to a large file. Or alternatively, just kill off all the processes listed from teh fuser command (if that's an option).

Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans