New Discussion юеВ

Re: Full copy from disk to disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Miguel Parra Chica
Occasional Advisor

Full copy from disk to disk

Hi,

I am using a HP-UX 11.00 L2000 server, but without available connection for a tape driver. More hardware data:

disk 0 0/0/1/1.2.0 SEAGATE ST39204LC
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0
disk 1 0/0/2/0.2.0 SEAGATE ST39204LC
/dev/dsk/c2t2d0

I want to copy the 1 disk on the 2 disk. I think [ I hope that ] I can use the dd comand to copy it; but i am NOT sure about how must I boot the host [ single user? & what to mount ] and how can I use the dd comand.

Can anyone help me? Please, detailed instructions.
Touching that is DANGEROUS
6 REPLIES 6
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

I presume that disk 1 is your system/data disk and that you wish to backup your system/data.

If so them mirror all of the volume groups onto the second disk and then split the mirrors.

To then use this disk as a backup device write a script which will join/ split all the mirrors and cron it to run.

HTH

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Luis,

if your OS is on one of these disks, it will not work at all, both disks should be completely offline, when you want to do this.
So if you only have these two disks, I think you'll have to boot from CD and use the admin tools on it to copy the disks.

BTW why do you want to do it ?
- If you want to move data to another system, you have to consider, that there are LVM structures on it, and it might be better to operate on LVOL level and vgexport/vgimport.
- If you want to move the OS disk to another box, be sure that the hardware including the SCSI-Adresses are the same on the other box. Otherwise it might not come up, and if it comes up, there might be networkconfusion due to duplicate IP adresses.

Best regards
Volker
Chin Guan
Valued Contributor
Solution

I presume c1t2d0 is a root disk.

You can boot the system to single user mode. To execute dd, just mount /usr

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0 bs=1048576

However, you would not be able to boot up from c2t2d0 when c1t2d0 fail, unless you replace ct12d0 with c2t2d0 physically.

(I've done this on a D Class machine, 10.20 machine, 4GB root disk before, hope this work for you too)
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can do that with dd.

# dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0 bs=1024k

dd command is recommended between disks that have identical sizes.
Never say "no" first.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

make_recovery