New Discussion юеВ

How to access HP-UX files from Windows O/S

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Hagedorn
Regular Advisor

How to access HP-UX files from Windows O/S

Hi,
I would like to access files on our K460 system from a Visual Basic program running under the Windows environment. We would like to access some simple ascii files for printing on Zebra printers. Can anyone give me some advise as to how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Randy
6 REPLIES 6
RAC_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to access HP-UX files from Windows O/S

you can use samba and map unix files to windows and then use in your visual basic programs.

SAMBA is freeware.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Hi Randy,

Check out:

http://www.samba.org

Great resource with pretty good documentation.

Regards,

RZ
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Probably the easiest and most reliable tool for the job is Samba. You can download it from www.samba.org, or you can get the free HP packaged version [CIFS/9000] as a depot. Samba allows you to share a filesystem or directory in Unix and allow Windows users to map it as a network drive. It doesn't require any additional software or setup in Windows. You could make a share that has the ASCII files you need and share it to your Windows box.

JP
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi Randy,

CIFS/9000 is HP's Samba product and is available for free download from http://www.software.hp.com/NSM_products_list.html This distribution includes an html copy of the O'Reilly Using Samba book, along with other useful documentation.

There's different levels of security available within CIFS, but the end result would be sharing a directory or file system from your K460, then mapping a network drive on your Windows boxes.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Also you can use
NFSMaestro products.

check www.hummingbird.com for the NFSmaestro

This will help u to map file systems to windows drives.

Thanks
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

I'll echo the others encouragement to use Samba or CIFS9000 to share the filesystem. But I want to advise you to tell your developers to drop that Visual Basic stuff and use Perl and/or Java instead. These two are the closest thing to true platform independant languages there are. With these, you can run your program anywhere: Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac, Be/Open BOS, and dozens of other platforms. Platform independant languages require a higher level of developer skill and organization, but they pay off in the long run in portability.

(We're undergoing this argument here--we'll probably lose, but WTH? We gotta try....)

Chris