5656 Online
108896 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to install Glance (remotely)?

Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

How to install Glance (remotely)?

Hello all,

I'm about to try Glance for the first time :)

I have with me the applications CD and I found the Glance directory on CD #1. However, the server where I want to install Glance is a couple of hundred miles away :)

I did a search on ITRC and I only see references to "mount the cd...and then run swinstall pointing to the cd unit". I have the CD on my laptop and I could create a tar of the whole directory and send it to the server across the network. My question is: once I extract the tar... how can I install it? I don't see any .depot file there. Do I need to create one?

Many thanks
Jorge
9 REPLIES 9
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: How to install Glance (remotely)?

You can point the swinstall to the local cd drive at your desk. This is like an NFS mount.

Or, NFS mount the cd directly.
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Hi Rick,

That would be too complicated...I need to call the firewall guy here and there to allow the ports required by NFS etc.

I already have glance.tar (directory on CD) and I just placed the file on the server itself. I just need to know how to install it this way, if there's one :)

Thanks,
Jorge
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Directory is the depot on the cd itself, so it does not need to have a .depot file.

In order to create a depot file, you will need to know a little bit about swpackage command. To be perfectly honest with you, last time I did this was few years back and it was on 10.20 version. All I remember is, it was ugly to deal with as the creation of the installable depot needed some precise cmmand line switches and all. Not fun.

If you have an hpux server nearby where you canmount this cd and which can talk to this remote server over the network, the easiest way is:

mount /dev/dsk/cXtXdX /SD_CDROM

swreg -l depot /SD_CDROM
(if depot does not work, try bundle)

then launch swinstall on the other server and specify your local server as the depot location. You should see /SD_CDROM as one of the software sources.

Download from this site.
http://www.managementsoftware.hp.com/products/gplus/download.html

The CD should have a depot format of the trail version of Glance. This would not be codeword protected.

Copy the depot file to the remote server and do the swinstall

Glance is a $ product so all you would get is the trail version.
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Hello Rick,

I even tried that :(

The only downloads available are for AIX and for Linux. Don't ask me why there isn't one for HP-UX.

Thanks,
Jorge
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

With my limited memory, I can only give you a starting point as much as I can remember:

swpackage -s /cdrom/AJ3423A -x media_type=directory @ /tmp/glance

Again, I am not exactly sure but this is how I started then, and build upon that command with additional switches required by my special situation at the time.

HTH

Hi Jorge,

1. Tell someone to put the CD in the Server's CDROM , and install the glance from there.

2. Download the glance , and install (Evaluation or purchase..)

http://www.managementsoftware.hp.com/products/gplus/download.html

Hope this helps..

Cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Hello enveryone,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to do option #1 suggested by Raj (find someone to put cd on server).

Jorge
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

thanks