Operating System - HP-UX
1758810 Members
3116 Online
108875 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to specify an incremental backup in a script that calls an Omniback Datalists Backup???

Shaun Aldrich_1
Advisor

How to specify an incremental backup in a script that calls an Omniback Datalists Backup???

Hello Everyone,

Currently in our environement we have a job schedular called Autosys that calls many scripts in different jobs for various Omniback Backups. One of our Backups we perform on a daily basis is an Oracle Hot Backup. Everyday when this Hot Backup job is run in Autosys it calls a script which when executed starts a Full Backup of the Hot Backup Datalist specified.

Instead of running a Full Hot Backup everyday I wanted to try and modify this script so that when executed in Autosys it will run an incremental 1 backup. This will save total media and backup time as it will only backup any changes since last full Hot Backup.

Here is the script below that is called from Autosys.

root@Chapter3:/home/root/work/operator/omniback/Chapter3$ RTK_Hot_Database.bkp

#! /usr/bin/ksh

/opt/omni/bin/omnib -datalist Chapter3_RTK_Hot_Database

exit_status=`echo $?`

if [ $exit_status -eq 0 -o $exit_status -eq 10 ]
then
exit 0
else
exit 30
fi

Anyone know what I would need to modify on the line that states -datalist (Backup) to test how to do a Level 1 Incremental Backup?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

S Aldrich
Hard work & dedication goes a long way...
4 REPLIES 4
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Re: How to specify an incremental backup in a script that calls an Omniback Datalists Backup???

Try using the "-mode incremental" switch with an optional 1-9 suffix. No suffix is incremental from last backup, incremental1 is from the last full backup.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to specify an incremental backup in a script that calls an Omniback Datalists Backup???

All you need to do is append "-mode Incremental1" to your existing omnib command.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Modify your script with this line:
/opt/omni/bin/omnib -datalist \ apter3_RTK_Hot_Database -mode incremental1

Best regards,

God bless pessimists, they did the backup!
Shaun Aldrich_1
Advisor

Hello Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I don't know alot about Oracle but are there anyway issues with performing incremental backups on a Oracle database?

If I did one Full Backup a week and the rest at incremental level 1 and I had problems with the database then I would have to Restore from the weekly full backup and the last level 1 incremental backup. Is this correct?

Are there any issues with the Oracle Database after restoring from the Full Backup then the last level 1 incremental from a few days later?

Your help is greatly appreciated...

S Aldrich
Hard work & dedication goes a long way...