3974 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP-UX 11.31.2305 - Glance 12.20.012 - Non-Fatal Errors

TheJuiceman
Super Advisor

HP-UX 11.31.2305 - Glance 12.20.012 - Non-Fatal Errors

Hello all,

I recently upgraded from HP-UX 11.31.2105 to 11.31.2305.  We are now using Glance 12.20.012.  When glance is executed as a non-root user, soft errors display on start up such as:

WARNING: Unable to open ".glancerc_hp", "adviser.out", and "glance.err".

Either your $HOME environment is not defined or there is no write

access to your $HOME directory.  Hence GlancePlus will save

customize configuration, adviser output and the error log data

to /var/opt/perf directory. To correct this problem set $HOME to

a directory with write permission and re-start GlancePlus.

<Press Return key to continue>

===================== Glance Non-Fatal Error =====================

Version:

User   :   xxx(/dev/pts/0)        Date: Wed Jul  5 18:03:21

File   :   /nfs-svn-share2/BLR.OvPA.12.20.t/hp1123ipfx64/hpsw-oa/PA//gp/source/glance/glance.c   Line: 427

System : hpux B.11.31 ia64

Unable to create /var/opt/perf/glance.err

======================================================================

Version:

File   :   /nfs-svn-share2/BLR.OvPA.12.20.t/hp1123ipfx64/hpsw-oa/PA//gp/source/glance/glance.c   Line: 434

Unable to duplicate an file descriptor

Version:

File   :   /nfs-svn-share2/BLR.OvPA.12.20.t/hp1123ipfx64/hpsw-oa/PA//gp/source/glance/thresholds.c   Line: 2339

Cannot write to local thresholds file.

Glance will then open and run from terminal.  However, it will also display an error upon exit:

2a1k1d2L 2a2k1d2L 2a3k1d2L 2a4k1d2L 2a5k1d2L 2a6k1d2L 2a7k1d2L 2a8k1d2L 2a1k16d0L   f1           2a2k16d0L   f2           2a3k16d0L   f3           2a4k16d0L   f4           2a5k16d0L   f5           2a6k16d0L   f6           2a7k16d0L   f7           2a8k16d0L   f8           Cannot write to adviser output file '' , check file permissions

I have verified that $HOME has proper permissions for the user.  I have also tried opening up the permissions on /var/opt/perf to no success.

My other systems are running HP-UX 11.31.2105 with Glance 12.10.010 without an issue.  This is the first system I have upgraded to 11.31.2305

Is this a known bug?  How do I address it?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

The error messages you encountered in Glance on HP-UX 11.31.2305 indicate that there are issues related to file permissions and access. Although the specific cause of the problem may vary, there are a few steps you can take to address this situation:

>> Double-check the permissions of the directories and files mentioned in the error messages. Ensure that the user running Glance has appropriate read and write permissions for the files ".glancerc_hp," "adviser.out," and "glance.err." Also, confirm that the user has write permissions for their $HOME directory.

>> Make sure that the $HOME environment variable is properly defined for the user running Glance. You can set it explicitly in the user's shell startup files (e.g., .profile or .bashrc).

>> Confirm that the files mentioned in the error messages exist. If they are missing, you can create them manually and set the appropriate permissions for the user.

>> Ensure that the Glance installation on the upgraded system is complete and accurate. Compare it with the working installations on other systems running HP-UX 11.31.2105 and Glance 12.10.010. Verify that all necessary files and directories are present and properly configured.

>> I would say Review the documentation and release notes provided by the vendor for Glance version 12.20.012. Check if there are any known issues, bug fixes, or specific configuration requirements related to HP-UX 11.31.2305. It's possible that there might be a bug or compatibility issue that is causing the non-fatal errors you are experiencing.

Remember to back up any files or configurations before making any changes or modifications to your system.

Hope this helps! Let me know

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
TheJuiceman
Super Advisor

Hi Vinky,

I would agree on it being a permission issue as root can run it without issue.  I have looked for any rebooted bug or workaround in the published literature and have found none.  I have attempted to create files, change permissions, verify $HOME settings (even modify them), etc with no success.  People reporting similar issues with Linux installations have also had no success.

This is definitely an internal bug with the product and it has apparently existed for the last couple of revisions now.

The "workaround" right now is using sudo to execute glance as a user

Thanks

georgek_1
HPE Pro

Hello TheJuiceman,

Please run # swverify \* and make sure that there are no permission issues reported in swagent.log .
You may correct them if there are any .

You may also check the permission of /var/opt/OV/datafiles/sec and make sure that it has, and its contents have permission of 755.

I work for HPE/ I am an HPE Employee (HPE Community)

I am an HPE Employee. .
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
TheJuiceman
Super Advisor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply and apology for the delay. 

A swverify reports no issues.  Same with swagent.log  In fact I sent in a getsysinfo to HPE to check and no problems were found.  

Permissions on /var/opt/OV/datafiles/sec are 755 owned by bin:bin.  This is the same as what is on other systems running previous versions that do not have an issue.

HPE lab have been able to reproduce the error in this version and the one packaged in last year's HP-UX revision (11.31..2205).  They have suggested it is an internal Glance bug.

I will post if anything new develops.  Thanks for everyone's input.