108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hpdb in /etc/passwd

SOLVED
Go to solution
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

hpdb in /etc/passwd

I was told we can remove user hpdb from /etc/passwd for security reason, I am wondering whether we have any potential problem after I remove it, what is this user for, I can not find related manual even man page for this user? Can I do it safely?

5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: hpdb in /etc/passwd

Victor,

It would appear to be for ALLBASE - I suppose you could remove it but I really don't think it's hurting anything.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Victor:

The account is for those using Allbase/SQL. If you don't use the product, you can remove the account.

Regards!

...JRF...
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

The account is actually for ALLBASE/SQL installation. If you look at the document "Allbase/SQL DB Admin Guide" which you should be able to find online, it'll explain clearly what it's for. Basically if you got a user that run ALLBASE/SQL, they obtain an effective user id of "hpdb" so that they may modify the data in the DB.
Having said that typically it should not be removed. A typical entry in /etc/passwd ..

hpdb:*:27:2: hpdb ALLBASE:/usr:/sbin/sh

My thought is it should not be removed unless you're very sure you would never try to install Allbase/SQL on the system.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi Victor:

Check this document about hpdb and it's removal (TKB #KBRC00007343):

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=9cc19457173acb5663/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000058694514

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!