Operating System - HP-UX
1755098 Members
1644 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I've ruled out serviceguard...so, now what?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

I've ruled out serviceguard...so, now what?

Ok...serviceguard for my old E55 is not an option. What next? We were thinking of an off-site archive server. The plan? Read on:
Upgrade the E55 to HP-UX 11.0
Upgrade the D370 to HP-UX 11.0
On E55 we have, (rackmounted,) 2 X HP6000 drive enclosures, with 5 disks per.
On D370 we have 5 internal drives, and 23 drives in 3 Jamaica boxes, (2 X HP A3311A external, and 1 X HP A3312A rackmount.)
I was thinking of purchasing at least 1 more Jamaica box for the E55, or perhaps a dlt drive to archive data from D370.

Does this sound feasable? Any comments will be both appreciated, and rewarded.

ron irving

BTW: Forget upgrading the server(s). Not a finacial option.
Should have been an astronaut.
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Im not quite sure what your plan is with the D and E, but running 11.0 on an E is fine, we do it here and it works great. Only possible problem I could see is enough slots for SCSI controllers on your E class. I think theres only room for 1/2 HP-PB SCSI FWD for your external FWD disks and DLT drive.

What is your exact plan for the D and E ?
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Stephan.
Our D370 is our main app server, and will remain so. Right now, it's running 10.20. The E-class is just sitting there right now...like a great rock!! I'd like to utilize it in some fashion. I was thinking of off-site storage of the app on D370. What do you think?

ron
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Why not use it as off-site storage for your app. Or use it as a test bed for your app in preparation for upgrading from 10.20 to 11.0 one day. You need to test installing 11.0, loading diags and latest GR patch bundle and all the HP apps you will need (mirror, glance, etc [if you use these]). Then you can copy over your app at some point and see how it performs and behaves under 11.0
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

OK!!! We have a winner. That's what I was considering doing!!! I'll have to duplicate the h/w as close as possible. But, I think that's what will be done in the long-run.

Thanx..and, as promised, your points!!

ron