3077 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite to another Disk on HP-UX 10.20

Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Ignite to another Disk on HP-UX 10.20

Since I have only 2 Servers both are hp-ux 10.20

I am not using Client/server setup for ignite.

I have installed the latest ignite for 10.20 on both the machines. I do now ignites to tape.

Is it possible to do ignite to another disk in the same machine OR can I keep a copy on another machine. If so How
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Ignite to another Disk on HP-UX 10.20

Ignite works in two ways, either across the network to an Ignite server, or to a tape drive. So your answer is yes, you can create a make_net_recovery archive on your other server. See man make_net_recover.

Pete

Pete
Helen French
Honored Contributor

To store the Ignite archive on network instead of local tape, user make_net_recovery command. You can keep your image on the Ignite-UX server with this command.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Basheer,

Your message is not clear to me. You are not using client/server setup for ignite. Makes sense as you have only two servers.

You can use the ignite tape to ignite to other disk on the same or another machine. Boot through the tape, interact with the installation and select the other disk in the Ignite Screen.

Or I missed something.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Thanks all

More info

I have not setup ignite as Client/Server machines. They are separate.

I am doing ignite now to local tapes in each server.

Since I dont have Mirror/UX can't afford now. Last time there was a boot disk crash. It took 3 Days for HP-Engineers to Diagnose, all took 5 days to get new disk, replace, restore from ignite. (ours is 7x24)

So I was wondering, If I can tell ignite pgm to do ignite to a local disk once a week. (Disks are hot swappable).

So if boot disk is dead, then boot from another disk which was ignited.
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

If I understood you clear then,

Have ignite tape for each box and run make_tape_recovery atleast once in a week.
Your mirror boot disk will take over in case primary boot disk fails for some reason.
Ignite tape can be used during disasters. You can rebuild your entire system if your both the boot disks fail.
Ignite tape also can be used to boot server and restore some important files incase you accidentley deleted any!

Ignite is not specific to any disk.

-USA..
Good Luck..
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It should have taken only 2 - 3 hrs for the ignite recovery.

You cannot ignite a single disk on the system without having to boot the system through tape.

Since you don't have Mirror/UX product, then the possibility is to go with "dd".

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t0d0 bs=4196k

Where c1t0d0 is your boot disk and c2t0d0 is your spare disk.

You cannot boot straight from the spare disk's slot. During the disaster, you will need to put the spare disk in the slot of boot disk and then boot.

Use your make_tape_recovery tape as plan B.

-Sri
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Thanks all

Sridhar,

If I do dd

Boot disk is internal size 4GB, 2nd disk 8GB is hot swappable which is in a seprate enclosure, physically difft from the internal. I think I can't Repleace internal boot disk with the external one.

So I can't do dd in this case
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Basheer,

In fact if your second disk is 4GB, you can still boot from it from it's slot, but you will need to make adjustments by booting through LV-maintenance mode and make corrections to /etc/lvmtab by exporting and importing etc., which may turn out to be a headache for you.

So, the best bet would be to boot the system through make_tape_recovery tape, point it to the external disk and install OS on it.

-Sri