1758786 Members
2740 Online
108875 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Increasing /stand

Brian Pyle
Frequent Advisor

Increasing /stand

I am in the process of upgrading my HP-UX 11.0 to 11.i, and I get an error that I don't have enough disk space in /stand. In the hp-ux 11i update and installation guide it says that I need to increase /stand and that I first need to increase my swap? since they both require contiguous blocks and are adjacent volumes. My swap is at 1664 Meg or so, do I really need to increase my swap volume?? I have a GIG of ram. Well I figured that I didn't need to increase my swap, so I tried to increas the size of /stand with the familier lvextend, but I get an error:

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vg00/lvol1" could not be extended.
Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy

Well I check and there is plenty of room on the disk, but the rest of my root volumes are on this disk also. So do I need to move the location of stand so I can get contiguous? How??

TIA
Brian :)
Follow The Path With Heart
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: Increasing /stand

Hi,

You will need to cut an ignite tape to
able to do this and boot from it.
Unfortunately /stand *must* be contiguous,
that is why you are receiving this error.
You can cut an ignite tape like this:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc=entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Make sure that you use the no-rewind device.

-Michael

Anyone for a Mutiny ?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Brian:

It is possible to run with a much smaller primary swap (256MB). stand is lvol1; primary swap is lvol2; / is lvol 3. The problem is that /stand and primary swap must be contigious so that conventional lvextends are not going to work. There is a workaround to shrink swap and then increase /stand but I would really suggest that you do a make_tape_recovery and re-install using Ignite. It is much safer and allows you to resize the lvols.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian,

Stand should be contiguous. You cannot move it to another location as it is required to be the first volume in the boot disk.

You need to prepare make_recovery tape first. Make sure it is properly created. Then go ahead with the following procedure.

1. Enable swap_mem on kernel paramter and remove primary swap by lvrmboot command before you are about to bring down the server.
2. Get into LVM maintenance mode by booting with -lm option interacting with ISL.
3. Remove the primary swap. You will get some free space after /stand logical volume. Extend stand. Then create primary swap it will be of lesser size but it's ok. You can add another file system for swap later.
4. Enable the swap using lvlnboot command.
5. Boot the system.

If you mess up anything above, you can always use mak_recovery tape to ignite the system and then change the /stand size during the installation. Otherwise, you will save time.

Below is the step by step document to remove primary swap (it says reduce but you can remove and recreate using the same procedure). Keep it handy.

http://us-support3.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=400cf4ff109236b71d/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000053868348

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Brian,

If you got 1 GB RAM, so you need at least 2 times the amount of memeory for swap.

And if your server is used for heavy transactionnel applications, you may need to have till 4 times the amount of memory for swap.

For increasing the amount of /stand, you will need to do the following ( since you couldn't use the lvextend command on /stand ) :

1. Produce an Ignite-Tape using the following command :

# make_recovery -A -d /dev/rmt/#mn

Note that '#' should be replaced by the tape device number and you must use the 'No-Rewind' device to create the lif area followed by the netire vg00.

2. Reboot your system and interrupt the boot sequence and interact with ISL.

3. ISL> SEA
will look for all devices on your system, then locate the number of the sequential media, which is the tape drive.

4. ISL > boot P#
Since # is the number of the sequential media returned by the SEArch command in point 3.

5. Interact with the installation and then modify your /stand file system.

Good luck.
Magdi
Lisa  Mauer
Regular Advisor

Follow this link, I just increased our /stand successfully, follow "kaps" instructions, but read mine at the end dated today 04/11/02. It only took about 30 minutes if you have the configuration for increasing.....
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd1d6d08cc06fd511abcd0090277a778c,00.html