108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install Xerox Docuprint 65 with Jetadmin

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Gore
Regular Advisor

Install Xerox Docuprint 65 with Jetadmin

I need to install a Xerox Docuprint 65 on my HP9000 N-class. I have Jetadmin 6.21. The printer has an IP address and I have added it to /etc/hosts. What printer driver can I use? There seems to be an unending list of HP printers, but not much of anything else.

Thanks.
Tom
7 REPLIES 7
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Install Xerox Docuprint 65 with Jetadmin

Hi,
JetAdmin is intented for use with printers which have an JetDirect interface card (only HP-printers ;) or which are connected to a HP JetDirect LAN box with a paralel cable.
If you do have the LAN box you could try any simple Centronix interface (HP LaserJet II).
If NOT : just try things out :) (we use JetAdmin sometimes for Lexmark LAN boxes).
On the other hand: I suppose that there should have been a CD with your Xerox printer with the necessary drivers and maybe JetAdmin alike software.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

JetDirect software communicates using port 9100 to the network printers. This is not supported by other manufacturers. Instead, their LAN interfaces support lpd/lpr protocol, also known as RFC 1179. In SAM, this is called a remote printer.

Note that lpd/lpr requires all data for the printer to be completely formatted before sending to the printer. So Unix ASCII files will stairstep down the page when send to as-is to your printer. Use ux2dos to filter ASCII files for printing.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bart Paulusse
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Tom,
the Xerox dp65 is connected to its own unix station (sun), so it is a remote printer. You can create it on your N-class with these steps:
1. add ip-adres of the dp65 to your /etc/hosts file
2. lpshut
3. lpadmin -pQUEUENAME_ON_YOUR_OWN_N-CLASS -v/dev/null -mrmodel -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel -ormdp65 -orpVIRTUAL_PRINTER_NAME_ON_THE_XEROX
4. accept QUEUENAME_ON_YOUR_OWN_N-CLASS
5. enable QUEUENAME_ON_YOUR_OWN_N-CLASS
6. lpsched

see lpadmin manpage for more details.

regards,
Bart
James_18
Valued Contributor

Apparently not many people are familiar with Jetadmin in Unix...
Use one of the dumbplot modelscripts that come with JA. Those are intended for non-HP printers. See http://www.hp.com/cposupport/networking/support_doc/bpj02668.html
However, I've seen many Xerox printers that are Windows only - check the specs on the printer to be sure it isn't one of those.
Tom Gore
Regular Advisor

Thierry--I was hoping for something like that. We also have a few Lexmark printers. We use the HPLaserjet 4 driver and they work fine.

Bill--I have read about the stairstep problem and have even found a "fix" on the HP site that addresses the problem.

Bart--I think this was what I was looking for. We are having our Xerox rep in later this week to assist in setup of their UNIX system. From there we will set up our HP9000.

James--Your comments have caused me to step back and look at this in a different light. Now I'm not sure if I should use your solution or Bart's solution.

To all--thanks. Assigning of points will be determined shortly.
Gregory Fruth
Esteemed Contributor

The CD-ROM that came with our Docuprint N40 included a
software package from Xerox analagous to JetAdmin. It installs
printer queues on HP-UX and allows you to access the advanced
features of the printer (input/output bins, stapling, etc.).

The package may be called CenterWare. The admin program
is called xpadmin. If you don't have this software on your CD,
try looking at the Xerox web site.
Tom Gore
Regular Advisor

Thanks one and all for you assistance. I tried many different combinations of network printer drivers and none seemd to work. When I defined it as a remote (Bart was on the money with this one) using SAM it finally worked. :-)