New Discussion юеВ

itanium based hpux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

itanium based hpux

Dear Sirs,

Is itanium based hpux servers has pc like architecture ? As itanium processors appears to be intel (pc like) micro processor; would it mean that pa-risc capability will not be available in long future ?

Thanks,
Shiv
11 REPLIES 11
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: itanium based hpux

Hi Shiv,

Itanium is a project between HP & Intel. Check the url below about 'Itanium Architecture' :

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/docDisplay.do?docId=prodITRC/DE_SW_UX_swrec_EN_01_E/Itanium.pdf

So it might be a new variant of the processor that will become a common use in the future, who knows ? 8-).

Hope this can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv

Itanium based servers was result of joint project between HP & Intel. Most of features of PA-RISC architecture are embedded in Itanium chip with an added advantage of codes for running Microsoft & Linux Operating Systems as well.

Itanium chip is more powerful than processors used on PCs

Regards
Mahesh
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Itanium may be from Intel, but Itanium-based systems are most definitely not "pc like" Itanium based servers are enterprise-class systems just like the PA and other RISC systems they are inteded to replace.

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

When Itanium first came out, it was EPIC - Explicity Parallel I(something) Computing. It was a completely different way of looking at computer processors, designed from the very beginning to function in parallel, thus offering very high performance.

Pete

Pete
Alan Meyer_4
Respected Contributor

but to answer his question... I do believe that development for PA-RISC is frozen, nO?
" I may not be certified, but I am certifiable... "
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

PA-RISC development is frozen, Yes. In fact, HP just released the PA-8900 chip, which is the last PA-RISC chip.
Devesh Pant_1
Esteemed Contributor

HP has declared end of road for PA-RISC processors
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv,
I work in different world but with same question. I work with vms that use alpha rsic processor.
In migration training, theacer told me:
Itanium is different from pentium processor because use EPIC technology but itanium servers use only PC technology to keep long life.
Itanium servers don't use pal code, micro processor. They use standard PC bus, PC cards and all standard components.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
rick jones
Honored Contributor

antoniov - careful there - the Itnaium systems have PCI I/O busses, but they do not use PC memory busses
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows