1754353 Members
4826 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: listing software

SOLVED
Go to solution

listing software

any way to list installed software without using swlist? i know there are lots of software packages installed on a server i am updating, and not very many show up with swlist. it would be nice to know what all was installed on this system ... any hints?
thanks!
just do it!
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Did you use 'swlist -l product'? Or, '-l filesets'? -l bundle won't list very much, if that's what you're using...

hope that helps.

ron
Should have been an astronaut.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jennifer:

If it wasn't installed with 'swinstall' then there is no record in the IPD (which is used by 'swlist'). The most likely places to look for software therefore become /opt/ and /usr/local/.

If the application in question is owned by a particular user then I'd look for ownership of files in user, particularly in the above directories:

# find /opt -xdev -user theuser

You might also look for any local startup scripts in the /sbin/rc?.d/ directories. These might give additional clues as to installed software.

Regards!

...JRF...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

Swlist is the way to do this. Unfortunately many software vendors (e.g. Oracle) do not play by the rules. The vast majority of 3rd-party software installs in /opt or /usr/local by default. Of course, you can install software anywhere. There is really no good way to do this.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Jennifer,
there is no other nice way to search for installed software. Some application will not shows up on swlist for example when I download the netscape and install on system. swlist will not list it. but mostly all application goes in to /opt or /usr/local/

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $

thanks for your help!
just do it!