lockable memory on the server

T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

lockable memory on the server

Hello,
I have a L2000 server with 2GB memory.
Physical: 2097152 Kbytes, lockable: 1165112
Kbytes, available: 1360512 Kbytes
The lockable bytes on the server is very less.How can I increase the value.The parameter unlockable_mem on the server is 0.
Please,suggestions!
7 REPLIES 7
Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

Re: lockable memory on the server

You can set it up to your physical memory.

http://docs.hp.com//hpux/onlinedocs/os/KCparam.UnlockableMem.html
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Without making any special changes to the kernel parameters, the lockable memory is what is leftover after the operatings system grabs it's portion. So if you have very large kernel parameters for nfile, nproc, ninode, etc, then the kernel will need many megs of RAM for it's tables and processes.

There are a lot more questions to ask about memory usage...lockable RAM is a small corener case of most memory problems. Make sure your buffer cache is not using 50% of your RAM and get a copy of psram from:

ftp://contrib:9unsupp8@hprc.external.hp.com/sysadmin/coolscripts/

Thois will show all processes sorted by the amount of RAM used. An example of psram is attached.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
Thanks for the replies.

I have attached the kmtune ouput.Please check which all values I should reduce and some brief on that.

Thanks

T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
How can I increase the number of lockable bytes on the server?
The total memory is 2GB and the lockable bytes is 1.1GB.

Thanks
Trevor Dyson
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
The way I understand things to work is that your lockable memory is set to roughly 75% of available memory. Available memory is what is left over after the kernel grabs space for itself and structures determined by the tunable parameter values.

With a physical memory size of 2097152 Kbytes, and available memory size of 1360512 Kbytes this means to me that the kernel is using up 736640 Kbytes (roughly 736 Megabytes). Thats huge!.

Looking at the tunable parameters I can see that semaphore related parameters (sem*) are the ones that are most above the default values, notably:
Parameter:semmni
Value: 7500
Default:64 Parameter:semmns Value:7500
Default:128
Parameter:semmnu Value:7500 Default:30
Parameter:semume
Value:7500 Default:10

I do not know for sure that these are the cause of such a large kernel but I would investigate why these need to be so high. The setting for these parameters would be determined by the application/RDBMS requirements so I would check the app/DB documentation and recomendations for these parameters.

Another parameter worth some investigation is maxvgs. The default is 10 and yours is set to 100. If you do not have close to 100 volume groups then you should really reduce this down but I can not see this using up hundreds of megabytes of RAM.

I've got a little black book with me poems in
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
Thanks for the replies.Some more input please

Thanks