New Discussion юеВ

make_recovery question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

make_recovery question

To All:

As i'm converting for MPE to HP-UX, I've been tasked to start by making 'make_recovery' tapes. On the first try, I came up with no errors, second try came up with the following;

HP-UX System Recovery
make_recovery(486):Warning:vglogs082BCV is not activated.
Going to create the tape.
make_recovery(472): /usr/bin/dd failed,res=512,errno=0
Cleanup

Then back to the prompt. Do I have a problem?
"Show me the $$$$$"
5 REPLIES 5
Wayne Clay
Occasional Advisor

Re: make_recovery question

I had this problem the other day and from information I found, all I had to do was clean the tape drive. I did have to clean it twice though. I hope this helps.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

First things first: Download and install the latest version of Ignite/UX ( http://software.hp.com/products/IUX ) and start using the make_tape_recovery command rather than make_recovery.

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/0m -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00

The above command will create a bootable backup tape of your ENTIRE VG00 volume group.

Now to your error message -- It appears that one of the volume groups on your system is not activated. This could be for a variety of reasons, one being that this is a MC/SG cluster and that is a shared VG on the other node in the cluster. Another could be that you have a problem with that VG. That should not make the make_recovery fail though.

The main problem is with the 'dd' command failing. Were there any other messages? You might try using the above make_tape_recovery and see if it makes a difference.
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi there

What was the exact command you used to do your make_recovery?

Also double check to make sure that the volume group vglogs082BCV is activated if it needs to be, not that make_recovery backs up that volume group as it is designed to backup vg00.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Chuck:

For starters, 'make_recovery' is deprecated. You should use 'make_tape_recovery' in lieu of it. This is well documented on the Ignite site. I suggest you obtain a current copy of Ignite and being using 'make_tape_recovery':

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/index.html

To create a recovery tape for vg00, do:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Regards!

...JRF...
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

To All:

The command used to create the tape was 'make_recovery -A'. Cleaning tape drive now and discussing version change with management. Thanks to all..

Chuck
"Show me the $$$$$"