108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MCSG Cluster

Sanjiv Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

MCSG Cluster

Hi,

I have an N-Class/HP-UX 11.00.
I am planning to get another rp8400/HP-UX 11i.
Can I have both of these two servers with hpux 11.00 and 11i in cluster?

Also, what is one-tier,two-tier,three-tier in MCSG? Which should I go for in my case?

Thanks,
Raje.
Everything is possible
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: MCSG Cluster

Yes you can have this. You just need to make sure you use the same version of SG in the cluster.
As for the second question, I am not sure what you are referring to, other than running an SAP system in the cluster. Is this the case?

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Sanjiv Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Burnard,
Thanks for your reply.
We don't want to use SAP. We want to use for Informix Database.

Regarding one-tier,two-tier,three-tier.
It is mentioned in SG manual "Managing MC/Service Guard".

I think when we order MC/Service Guard at present it asks for one-tier,two-tier,three-tier.

Thanks,
Raje.
Everything is possible
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

That refers to how you use your application. In the case of SAP, you have a Database/Central Instance, with external Application Servers.
This gives you the 2 or 3 tier environment, depending upon how you configure it.
Your choice will be based upon your environment and configuration

Melvyn
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

I also believe the "tier" you are discussing when purchasing is the licensing tier/cost. This is entirely different to what I refer to above and what is referred to in the manual.
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Hello Raje,

Melvyn's last comment spurred my memory too.
I checked an internal HP document called the Server Ordering Guide and noted that indeed there are 3 tiers which determine the pricing for MC/ServiceGuard.

Tier 1 - A/D/E/F/G/K1xx,K2xx,L Classes
Tier 2 - H/I/K4xx,K5xx,N-Class
Tier 3 - T5XX,T600,890,V-class
The document does not list the newer systems but it does list a per-processor license which I believe is replacing the tier system, which may be applicable to the newer servers.

Please approach your sales channel for information relevant to your environment.

-s.