Operating System - HP-UX
1756524 Members
2688 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MCSG with two like servers, two FC60s and raw devices !!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

MCSG with two like servers, two FC60s and raw devices !!!

This is a question that came up on our lsat install.

Our sybase database has its data files on raw devices, so, AFAIK, HP does not have anything that would give us raw device mirroring on the FC60s.

So, we decided to use only one FC60, connect both servers to it, but now, that is our single point of failure.

We entertain the idea of having sybase replication going, but this started to become TOO COMPLEX and our managers dropped it.

Now, has anybody out there encountered this scenario, and how did you get around it ?

Thanks,

Henrique Silva
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
13 REPLIES 13
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MCSG with two like servers, two FC60s and raw devices !!!

Hi:

There is a way to do what you want to do and that is to use raw LVM lvols. These, you can mirror. I have never been able to measure any significant difference in the performance of raw physical devices and raw logical volumes; in fact, because you can stripe across multiple physical devices, in some cases, the LVM raw LVOL's actually perform better.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Why not let sybase use a raw Logical Volume, which you can mirror?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

OK, I am not familiar with the RAW LVM !!!!!

Can you clarify this ? At the OS level or sybase level ??? I have already create raw LVMs for sybase raw devices. That is what I meant of raw devices. Now, I am not aware of any way to mirror them at the OS level.

How is that done and what package does it ? This would have to be hardware or HP Software mirroring or you are telling me that sybase would take care of that ? I am not aware that sybase can mirror its raw devices on two servers and two fc60s. I know it can mirror the devices on the same server, but not accross servers, without doing replication.

please clarify it. I am REALLY curious here now :-)))

Thanks,

Henrique
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Search for a product called Mirror/UX. The mirroring is done at the OS level and works quite well. If you are on a later OS Release, yiu should also look at a product called Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM). Both of these are add-on products and will do the trick for you.

I might also suggest another trick that I have found to be useful. Add a layer of indirection to your database raw volumes. e.g. Rather that using /dev/rdsk/c9t6d3 (or /dev/vg03/rlvol5) as your raw volume, use something like /u01/myfile.dat and then do a symbolic link to the raw device node. This wa, you can move things around at the UNIX level and not have to change anything in the database. Simply redefine your soft link and the data is moved.

Food for thought, Clay
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Ooops ... that should be MirrorDisk/UX.
manoj_pu
Regular Advisor

Hello Silva

You can do mirroring by using mirror/UX aswellas by sybase isql command.

LVM mirroring
Assumptions
vgXX --- Volume group with two LUNS.
eg. cXtXd0 & cXtXd1
lvolX -- Logical volume where your sybase device resides its primary copy is in cXtXd0
To create a mirror copy of lvolX in cXtXd1
#lvextend -m 1 /dev/vgXX/lvolX /dev/dsk/cXtXd1

Sybase mirroring

You will have to create a device of same size of primary database device.

Then use disk mirror command of sybase to enable mirroring in the devices.

This will ensure that the data is written to both devices at the same time

Regards

Manoj

Leave with out tense and try best you gets result
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi again:

I suppose that should add that you use the -m n options of the lvextend command but this option only is available if you have purchased and installed MirrorDisk/UX. Man lvextend for details.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Henrique,

since you are using a Disk Array, so we can safely assume that you are using some RAID Level, so you already have a hardware redundancy built in. Software mirroring add some more redundancy.

Take a look at the threads below to learn more about mirroring and redundancy,

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90742/B2355-90742_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90742/00/00/98-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90742/00/00/98-toc.html&searchterms=lvm%20mirror&queryid=20020223-200258

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/onlinedocs.py?mpn=B2355-90742&service=hpux&path=../B2355-90742/00/00/96&title=Managing%20Systems%20and%20Workgroups%3A%20A%20Guide%20for%20HP-UX%20System%20Administrators

You can use software mirroring is you have MirrorDisk/UX installed on your system.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Let me just make sure we are ALL talking about the same thing here.

The RAW device mirroring would be done BETWEEN TWO SERVERS and not on the same server. This would be done between server a and server b, bith have FC60s attached to them an d mirrored. Tha SG Package is called SERVERS.

When server A is active, everything is written to the disk array ( FC 60 ) on server B. The same thing happens the other way around.

I am getting confused a bit here, because I think, people are talking about mirroring disks ON THE SAME SERVER. I know I can do this at the OS level or using sybase, althought I would pay with performance there. The
trick here is to have the raw device mirrored on the two SG nodes.

Are you saying I can do that with mirror / UX ? How does that work ? Will both FC 60s be mounted on both servers and them mirror/UX will think they reside on that server and mirroring is done it that way, or is this LAN mirroring ??????

Thanks,

Henrique Silva