108926 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mess during Patching

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

Mess during Patching

During the patching of our HP-9000 rp2450 (A) with HP-UH 11.0 I lost telnet and need to get it back.
I had a problem after installing the Sept. 2003 patch set with /etc/utmp getting corrupt.
The Patch to fix this is PHNE_26096. It needed some Dependencies that also needed Dependencies. After sorting through all of that I found out that the PHNE_26096 Patch bundle had latest Dependencies. After checking my system most of them were not installed yet. After reading the documentation of all the Patches some them needed to be installed first.
I tried to reinstall PHNE_26096 and it would not let me. So I uninstalled it and some of the dependencies and tried to install them. And I kept getting this message that they were already installed. So I tried to reinstall it and got an error that it could not compile the kernel and that I should fix the problem or quit or I might not be able to get into the system after a reboot.
Well, I lost telnet and do not know how to get it beck. I can access the system with ssh so all is not lost.
Since this is my first run at patching, I help getting telnet back.
In /etc/inetd.conf telnet is setup.
ssh and ftp work and I get this message trying to telnet to the server:
====================
# telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
telnetd: Cannot push ptem: Not a typewriter
Local flow control off
Connection closed by foreign host.
#
===================================
Can you help?
The only thing that always remain the same are the changes.
3 REPLIES 3
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

this is a tipical problem when messing with installation network patches, some services can get corrupted or removed any device files.
Just

# insf -e

should solve your problem.

Best regards,
Ettore
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

This is why one should use HP's custom patch manager, which will tell you the dependencies and allow you to bundle them into a single depot file to install:

http://us.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/assessSystemsPage.do

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

Thanks guys!
Telnet works.
And I have an new tool that may help me from doing a dumb thing.

Marty
The only thing that always remain the same are the changes.