Operating System - HP-UX
1754968 Members
3402 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion

Moving NPAR/VPar server to VSP Vpar using HP VSP 6.3 (or Possible 6.4)

Ruel Alojado
Advisor

Moving NPAR/VPar server to VSP Vpar using HP VSP 6.3 (or Possible 6.4)

I have a number of Npar Servers and VPar Servers.  We are planning to move this to VSP Vpar.

My Npar and Vpar servers are all booting from SAN Disks.

In my experience with VPAR OS moving to VSP Par, it did not materialized.  I've cloned the OS from the storage level and mask the cloned OS to the NPIV WWN of the VSP Vpar. Note that the OS that time is Running 11.31 DC-OE with QPK March 2014.  I've noticed that the OS requires to load an AVIO Driver when I did a fresh install of the OS using the same disk luns of the OS.  This was five months back.  No issues encounter from VSP vpar so far.

From the above requirement, my existing npar/vpar servers have been patched with September 2014 QPK. If i move the servers to the virtualization service platform vpar,

1. What are the things I need to consider from the existing OS given that I've prepare all the necessary requirements in creating the vpar from CPU, Memory, Virtual Switch, GUID Manager WWNs, FC mappings.

2.  If OS was successfully move, during the rezoning, we know that Disk ID's will change, will OS be able to mount other volumes group in this case? 

In case VG scenario will not be mounted, Volume Group will be mounted using the map files that we will be preparing prior to the Migration/Rezoning.

Your Ideas/Inputs/Suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

Ruel