Operating System - HP-UX
1759742 Members
3680 Online
108888 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need the commands used to vgexport and vgimport when new controller numbers are assigned to a server

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Goetz
Advisor

Need the commands used to vgexport and vgimport when new controller numbers are assigned to a server

We are moving to a new EMC switch which will change the c#t#d#
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Need the commands used to vgexport and vgimport when new controller numbers are assigned to a server

The easist way is to use the "-s" option to record the VGID in the mapfile. The vgimport then scans disks matching this VGID stored in the VGRA disk area.

vgchange -a n /dev/vg10
vgexport -s -m /tmp/vg10.map /dev/vg10

Do your equipment swap
ioscan -f # dtect the new hardware
insf # create the new device nodes
# you may want to run rmsf to remove the old device nodes

vgimport -s -m /tmp/vg10.map -v /dev/vg10
vgchange -a y /dev/vg10

After the import, you can use pvchange to better optimize your primary and alternate paths.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: Need the commands used to vgexport and vgimport when new controller numbers are assigned to a server

Hi John,

As Clay so aptly enumerated, I would just like to point out that the *whole* key is using -s in both the export & import.
It causes the system to *search" all paths/disk/luns for that *specific* VGID.
Note however on slow systems with lots of disks/LUNs it may take a while.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

I would suggest to save the map file in default path of /etc/lvmconf with the vgnames.map or semewhere out of /tmp.

This is required as sometime the contents of /tmp might get cleared during reboots or through cron jobs, if configured.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"