New Discussion юеВ

nis and uids assigned ..

SOLVED
Go to solution
someone_4
Honored Contributor

nis and uids assigned ..

hey everyone ..
I have a question about nis .. I finialy got it to work. I will update the other post when I get done here. But anyways .. I have started my nis test enviroment. So I did not want to move the uids of 100 to the nis test. I left then as local users. But when I go to sam to add a user it will automaticaly assign a uid of 101 because I am using 200 for my nis test env. I was wondering is there a way for it start with 200s instead of 100 so I dont have to keep trying to rememeber what uid was in there before?
So it will go 201 202 203 in order.

Thanks
Richard
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: nis and uids assigned ..

From TKB document W3470737.

***********Start Document

Problem Description

Can I add users via SAM starting at UID (user id) 200?

Configuration Info

Operating System -HP-UX Version -10.0
Hardware System -K200

Solution

Prior to HP-UX 10.10, SAM is hardcoded to add new users with a UID at the first unused UID greater than 100. There is no way to change the behavior of SAM. There are two workarounds for this:

- Manually change the UID every time, as you are adding the user through SAM.

- Make enough dummy users so there are users from UID 101 through 199.

In the 10.10 release of HP-UX, a new feature, User Templates, was added to the Users and Groups area of SAM. This feature enables a SAM user to create one or more templates that specify how users are to be added to the system. In particular, templates allow the following options regarding user IDs:

i) Use the lowest available user ID in the password file
ii) Use the lowest available user ID over a given minimum value
iii) Use the lowest available user ID between two given values
iv) Prompt the user for the user ID

********End Document

Hope this helps!

S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Re: nis and uids assigned ..

Actually you can tell SAM to say create my UIDs starting from 200 onwards. In the account creation window goto Action->UserTemplate and I believe it has to be defined here. Have not used it before. You should be able to define at least 3 different behavior here ..
1)Use lowest available UID in the password file
2)Use lowest available UID over given minimum value
3)Use lowest available UID between 2 given values