NIS NFS Users window hangs when opened

SOLVED
Go to solution
LV2DIVE
Frequent Advisor

NIS NFS Users window hangs when opened

Running NIS
Serving user's directory
login to CDE and open a window and it will hang before prompt.

Created a local user with local dir works fine.
Created a local user with a NFS shared directory same issue.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Re: NIS NFS Users window hangs when opened

Hi,

obviously your NFS mounts are not without problems.
- Look for messages in the syslog
- try to access a NFS mounted directory from a local dtterm
- check if all NFS mounted devices are accessible and all NFS hosts are reachable

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
LV2DIVE
Frequent Advisor

I agree that there are issues, my brain is burnt out trying to resolve it. Needing fresh opinions.

NFS Server is a HP c8000 connected to a Complellent SAN Drive. Copies from the NFS directory to the local are very fast when logged in as root, but when logged in as a served user it is slow.

I am thinking there might be a kernal adjustment as a server for 50 Workstations and or additional nfsd may need to be running?

First time with a Compellent drive, use to NetApps.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Eric,

Let's back up a few steps.

What type system is the NFS client in this scenario? What OS is it running?

You said the NFS server is an HP c8000. What OS is it running?

Are you saying the problem occurs when you create a local user account on the NFS client whose home directory is NFS mounted, and that user login hangs prior to getting the shell prompt? If so, what shell is configured for this user?

I'm wondering if this isn't the age old issue of KSH hanging trying to lock a history file on the NFS server.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
LV2DIVE
Frequent Advisor

>What type system is the NFS client in this scenario?

The system is a HP c8000.

>What OS is it running?

HP-UX-11.11

>You said the NFS server is an HP c8000. What OS is it running?

HP-UX 11.11

>Are you saying the problem occurs when you create a local user account on the NFS client whose home directory is NFS mounted, and that user login hangs prior to getting the shell prompt? If so, what shell is configured for this user?

Yes, and yes it is KSH.

>I'm wondering if this isn't the age old issue of KSH hanging trying to lock a history file on the NFS server.

Maybe, do tell more?

Thank you.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

If this is the KSH history problem then what you're seeing is the inability of the NFS client and server to successfully lock files across the NFS mount. This is usually caused by a configuration problem on one of the two systems.

There are two ways to address this:

1) Cheat

By cheat, I mean don't resolve the underlying file locking issue but instead just redirect the KSH history file to a directory that is not NFS mounted. This is done by setting the HISTFILE environment variable in the user's .profile or .kshrc:

HISTFILE=/tmp/.sh_history.$$

This causes the shell to create and lock the history file locally instead of over NFS. Again, I consider this a hack/cheat because you're really not addressing the underlying NFS file locking problem, and if you use any other applications that lock files in the NFS mounted directories with this server they'll hang as well.

However, if the KSH history file is the *only* file locking performed between these two systems then you may not be interested or motivated to get to the bottom of the underlying problem and in that situation redirecting the history file is acceptable.

Even if you are interested in pursuing the underlying problem, setting the HISTFILE variable to a local directory is usually a fast and easy way of verifying that you're seeing an NFS file locking problem.

2) Troubleshoot the file locking problem

The easiest way to troubleshoot this problem is to collect debug rpc.lockd log files from both the client and server when reproducing the hang.

If you're interested in pursuing this let me know and I can walk you through it. I won't bother documenting the steps here until I know that you're actually having a file locking problem and that you're interested in pursuing it. If you're just going to use the HISTFILE variable to work around it then there's no point in collecting more data.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
LV2DIVE
Frequent Advisor

Dave, thank you for the cheat. I added the variables to the user's .profile and it worked for su - user hang. The user still has an issue when logging into CDE. The window' prompts still hang.

I would like the instructions how to diagnose the rpc lock.

Seems like the big problem was cut in half though.

Thank you,
Eric
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Eric,

Add the same cheat to the user's .dtprofile.

Pete

Pete
LV2DIVE
Frequent Advisor

Eureka! The user prompt lag has been eliminated!

Is there a better fix for HP-UX 11.11 then the cheat? I have about 40 machines with about 80 users.

The .profile is shared by all already.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Eric,

What this proves is your underlying problem is an NFS file locking issue. If you're still interested in resolving that issue I can give you a set of steps to get to the bottom of it. Again, if login is the only time you lock files over NFS then it might not be important to you.

Let me know if you still want to pursue identifying the underlying problem.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo