108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OK...I need some shell script help..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

OK...I need some shell script help..

I am down to the last of this thing...and I have lost it.
Take a look at the attached file that is giving me a headache. This is what I've created for doing disk mapping on multiple systems. I did it on 4 servers attached to our EMC disk array..
Each record can have between 3-5 fields (depending on if it's attached to lvol/filesystem or not)

What I am trying to do is get the alternate link (second line of same value as $1) to also print what is reported in the primary disk/lvol/file_sys line.
AND then I want to print a fairly clean report with a space in between different values of $1. Nothing fancy.

This is that disk mapping program I have been working on....and I'm down to this...
..ps..can you tell I am NOT a programmer ! Everytime I try to printf...it blows up because the first line does not have a value for $4 or $5 ... arghghgh !! I've been doing this in Posix Shell. My code is sloppy, but it got me to here..any Help would be appreciated !!

$1 = EMC info
$2 = hostname
$3 = disk addr info
$4 = /dev/vg/lvol
$5 = file_system

Thanks,
Rita
11 REPLIES 11
Vikas Khator
Honored Contributor

Re: OK...I need some shell script help..

Hi ,

How about sorting your file on first & fourth field and then applying your logic.

Keep it simple
Fred Myers
Advisor

Actually EMC has software called I believe ECC that will do exactaly that and let you save it as a flat file, you can even import it into excell as a CSV and sort it if you want. Or you can use the HP utility inq.HP that is a free EMC HP binary awk out each servers information sort it compare it to /etc/lvmtab to get lvol info and the append it to a file on a leveraged machine with a `hostname` placed between them.
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Rita,

I'd love to help you, but it would be easier if you submit your script!

Bye,
Rik.
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

If you're just worried about the values of $4 and $5 being null, why not just test them before calling your printf statement? If they are null, then set them to some arbitrary value like "-" or "N/A".
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I get exactly what you want, but you can try this:

awk '{if(NF==5){printf("\n%25s %10s - %s, Alt: %s\n",$4,$5,prev3,$3)}prev1=$1;prev3=$3}' name_of_your_file

Maybe you could post what you want the output to say and look like.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here's a POSIX/ksh script that will filter stdin into 5 parameters with missing parameters changed to " "

---

#!/usr/bin/sh
# Usage: cat somefile | parm5
# Output is always 5 values

# To remove the leading : use this:
# echo ${SN#:} ${HN#:} $DEV ${LVOL:-" "} ${MNT:-" "}

while read SN HN DEV LVOL MNT
do
echo $SN $HN $DEV ${LVOL:-" "} ${MNT:-" "}
done

---

The key is using shell parameter expansion. If LVOL or MNT are null or undefined, the result will be " " (or whatever you'd like). To use this script:

cat InputFile | this_script

Output will always be 5 values. Or you can pull the snippet into your script.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What I would do:

while read line
do
set -- $line "" "" "" "" ""
done < your_file

That way, $1 to $5 always get filled up, even when your line only contains 3 (or less) fields (words). The 4th and 5th word will be empty, but you will not get an error (be sure to quote your variables when doing a prinf!!)

Hope this helps,
Rik.
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Danny Engelbarts
Frequent Advisor

Rita,

a very simple printf statement in the posix shell;

printf "%-x.xs%-x.xs%-x.xs%-x.xs%-x.xs\n" "$1" "$2" "$3" " $4" " $5"

where -x.x is used for presentation ;o)

by adding the space in front of $4 and $5 the argument to printf is always filled.

Greetz, Danny.