at the end u will get a summary like
%usr user mode
%sys system mode
%wio idle with some process waiting for I/O (only block I/O,
pageins/swapins indicated);
%idle otherwise idle.
===
1)If % idle is more then cpu is not overloaded
2)If wio (=wait for io) is more than the bottleneck is IO ( i.e the cpu is waiting for io resources to be free otherwise it would have been idle).Then the disk is the bottleneck ( this includes the disk,disk interface[scsi,fc,]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To calculate the throughput of the Disk :
#iostat -t 10 100
This will give per 10 second and 100 counts
for all the disks.

the output will be
device Device name
bps Kilobytes transferred per second
sps Number of seeks per second
msps Milliseconds per average seek

Where bps is the throughput
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For Memory :
i normaly see that paging is happening or not with
#vmstat -s
If the O/P is
0 swap ins
0 swap outs
0 pages swapped in
0 pages swapped out
Then Memory is enough since no paging is happening.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

User Activity :
Normaly i use top for tracking this and also with the combination of ps -aef

#top
this will give which user-using which command and what amount of memory used by it.

Hope this helps,

Regards

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Re: performance monitoring

Hi

I've spent the last 3.5 years trying to do what you have asked.... after 0.5 years I started to use MeasureWare and can now say that I can, on occasions, spot some performance bottlenecks. There really is no substitute for the following
o Knowledge of your system's daily ups and downs... what is "normal" (MeasureWare can plot the historical usage)
o Knowledge of how your system responds to loading. The systems I look at (and there are only 3 products/applications on a variety of different H/W platforms), usually respons linearly to a main driving load (I'm VERY lucky in this)..
o I'm an undying fan of MeasureWare & only slightly less of an undying fan of glance [because it is immidiate and not historical & so it is difficult to compare say network results with CPU stats & determin a link/corolation, if any] - If you are serious about performance then spend the $$$ and some time, the rewards are worth it.

The above said.... here is a whistle stop tour

sar -d
look at service times of the disks (last column) this will give you a clue if the disks are turning around IO efficiently. anything over about 10ms is poor and above 20ms is really quite serious... This would imply the disks are thrashing.. Also look at %util, this gives you an ide how much %age wise disks are being used.. so a high service time and low % util may suggest a broken disk, where as high service time & high %util would suggest high IO load..

sar -u
generally people like to see low %wio compared to %usr & %sys.. This is a bit of a fudge as there is no real CPU usage for wait on IO. It is an estimate.. That said if %wio >= (%usr+%sys) you may be suffering from IO bottleneck (LAN, disk, memeory etc).
Also %usr >= 2* %sys. %sys is system calls and generally this is kernel stuff, a high %sys may imply excessive system calls... this MAY be normal, but usually a process is spinning or something!!

sar -v
The ov's should never be > 0!

Excellent tool for 1-8 cpu box, after that you tend to run out of screen!

lsof, tusc, lanadmin, lanscan, ioscan, iostat, netstat, swlist, swapinfo, bdf, du, find, ps, cfg2html, ls ... these are generally ignored tools, useul in there own right, but not so general as sar, top (and these are free).

Good luck on the "quest"

Regards

Tim
-
VINU
Frequent Advisor

Dear Friends ,

Thanks for ur valuable inputs

Thanks & Regards
Vinu
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I suggest you purchase a copy of HP-UX Performance and Tuning by Robert Sauers. He has just release a second edition (I have my copy on order). I thought the first was a worthwhile overview of the tools. It is available at amazon.com.
Mom 6
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi to all
There are some new courses coming up soon.

Diffential calculas by picture, and hp-ux admin by osmosis.

Aplicants please apply to:--

;^0 - :^) - 8-(

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon