1755641 Members
3297 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

processor based license

T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

processor based license

How does this processor based license work?
I have some applications with license for one processor.
Is that like on a machine with more processor this becomes a constraint.

All comments are welcome.
9 REPLIES 9
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: processor based license

Seems a number of software vendors have decided to base their 'fees' on the physical number of processors in a server. So if you have 4 processors and say they charge 10,000 for service per processor...you pay $40,000.

Used to be they charged by number of users on a system. Guess they felt they weren't getting enough $$$$$$$ this way.

Rgrds,
Rita
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And some vendors (SAS for one) have different charges based on processor power, like a lowly 440Mhz CPU wouldn't cost as much as a 750Mhz CPU. Then they charge even more for multiple CPUs, as Rita said.

Pete

Pete
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

I have aCC compiler software for a single processor running on machines with four processors.
I am in trouble with the amount of time it takes for compilation.

I could see the 4 processors handling the load of four individual compilations.

how does this license for processor work?
How is the design?

Thanks
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi T.G.,
Aren't we confusing 2 issues here ?
1. The "Tier" scam.
There are indeed a lot of softwarevendors that charge a lot more $$$ for the SAME software if your server falls into a higher "tier". Software costs more for an N4000 than for a L2000, more for a multiple CPU server than a single CPU server, more for servers with 440Mhz CPU's than for servers with 550Mhz CPU's. The issue here is support. If "they" find out you're cheating ... you're in all kinds of trouble. The software is the same however. Examples : Veritas Netbackup, BMC's Control-M, ...

2. Single threaded software
Some software does not benifit from multiple CPU's, because it's singlethreaded. I presume your compiler is in that case, 4 compilations will run on 4 CPU's, 1 compilation on 1 CPU.

With which one of these 2 are you having an issue (forgive me for not understanding that already) ?

Regards,
Tom
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
Oops, I made a mistake with the CPU power there. I meant "more for servers with 550Mhz CPU's than for servers with 440Mhz CPU's" off course.

As an extra add-on : some - very few - softwares combine the two issues. CA's Unicenter licences seem to be VERY sensitive to changes in the hardware (the software will no longer work) ... but it also takes advantage of having more CPU's, so that's kind of fair ;-)

Regards,
Tom
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

in CAD area a license application is looking for the processor the license is based on. If the processor is there it should be no problem.
But for me it sounds like you want to change from a one-processor maschine to a more-processor maschine. Then you need a new license or a floating license.

I hope this helps
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

T.G. hi again,

sorry forget the last - I just read your last comment.
I think you are using a software which is not multiprocessor compatible.
But this is not based on licensing but programming.

Regards
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I think there is several licencing concepts for multi processor applications. For example FEM and CFD programs it is common you boy a license for the number of processors the solver can use. If you have a 4 processor license and a 8 cpu machine you can start, for example, two solvers on two processors or one solver on four processors. The number of processors to use is specifyed at startup and this number is counted down from the total number until this is 0. A kind of floating license.
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi, T.G

I have aCC compiler, i install the same compiler on D-class(1 way) L-class(2/4way) and rp7400(8 way), it works well.
I think this processor based license is for s/w vendors to make money (since rich guys buys multiple processor systems and poor guys buys single processor based system)
never give up