1995 Online
108873 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: public and private ftp accounts

sen_ux
Valued Contributor

public and private ftp accounts

Hi All,

Please tell me the exact difference in creating public and private ftp accounts.
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

"man ftpd"?
sen_ux
Valued Contributor

Not satisfied.
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

If you would like to add a public FTP account, perhaps an account you can provide to your vendors to be able to upload and download files to your system via FTP, but do not want them to gain access to your wwwroot directory or the common ftp account for muliple users.

private ftp focuses on restricted or secured ftp account for users.
a warrior never quits
sen_ux
Valued Contributor

Is there any difference while creating these accounts.?
If i have multiple ftp accounts (public and private),how does an anonymous user differentiate it.?
Also if i have amultiple public account and if i am logging in as anonymous , where i ll be pointing to.? I mean, any particular user home dir.?

Thanks
sen
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

>>Is there any difference while creating these accounts.?If i have multiple ftp accounts (public and private),how does an anonymous user differentiate it.?

actually in every ftp server there is anonymous account. you can modify its parameter and can restricted in a definite folder. also ftponly account has the tighter restriction that it can't move anywhere other than its own home directory.

>>Also if i have amultiple public account and if i am logging in as anonymous , where i ll be pointing to.?

you can specify the anonymous home directory to anywhere in the whole system with specific permission.
a warrior never quits
sen_ux
Valued Contributor

Thank you.