New Discussion юеВ

PV LINKS AND DMP

meekrob
Super Advisor

PV LINKS AND DMP

HI ,
i want to know if there will be a conflict when using PV links and DMP ,
in fact i have an EVA4000 connected to 2 clusters HP9000 servers ,
i have also the storage foufation for Oracle RAC (Veritas )
in the EVA , i have 1 virtual disk that i need to manipulate it with PV links (vgextend ..., i have 4 paths to it ) and an othet virtual disk that i should create a shared file system on it (using veritas to be mounted on two nodes simultanesly) but i need also to use DMP for it because also it is seen by four paths ,
so my question is :
can i use PV links for a LUN on the EVA4000 and DMP for an other LUN
Thank 's
3 REPLIES 3
wip
Frequent Advisor

Re: PV LINKS AND DMP

why not ? PV Links come in to picture only when the disks are under the exclusive control of LVM and DMP works only with VXVM.In both these scenario's physical disks has to be exclusively under the subsystem control.I do not see any issue using the DMP and PVLINKS.
sathish kannan
Valued Contributor

Hello Rue,

The simple answer is why not?

But consider DMP's advantage of load balancing I/O across paths (if your storage array is capable of load balancing)
on any cluster confiuration, I feel as long you keep them identical that should be fine.

Reagrds
Sathish
Don't Think too much
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Why not consider choosing one volume manager? It will simplify your environment, and you won't have to remember how to do things in multiple volume manager tools.

I like LVM for it's simplicity, but both volume managers work well, if setup properly.

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)