1754402 Members
3139 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quantum 8000 DLT not being recognised

Alex Murray
Frequent Advisor

Quantum 8000 DLT not being recognised

We have the above DLT drive hanging off the back of our HP3600 workstation running HPUX11. After applying patch PHKL_25769 (stape cumulative) the drive was recognised and we could successfully backup to it. However for no apparent reason the drive is no longer defined when running ioscan -fn. I have attached excerpts of the associated mail outputs from working backups to not working backups.
I have reapplied the patch and powered down the workstation and the DLT drive to no effect. Does anyone have any ideas please?
Thanks Nick :-)
8 REPLIES 8
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You could try to remove the /dev/rmt/1* device files and do a insf -e to recreate them.

Don't do this if the problem is intermittent.

Also look at this thread !

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x9d667d4cf554d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
Tracey
Trusted Contributor

I recently had the exact same problem on a N4000/11.X, after tech support got here they figured out that it was the SCSI card the drive was hooked to, it had no internal terminator - once he put one on, viola it works consistently now.

Tracey
Alex Murray
Frequent Advisor

Hi Clemens
I now attach the output from the ioscan and as you can see the quantum s/w, h/w etc is not claimed. That is the system knows nothing of the DLT drive, does the system have to have claimed the device before removing the /dev/rmt/1* device files?
Thanks Nick
Alex Murray
Frequent Advisor

Hi tracey
I'm pretty sure that we checked the internal scsi terminator but I will check it again in case it has come loose. Were you ever able to see/use your DLT before tech support added the terminator?
Thanks Nick
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Nick,

No it doesn't have to be claimed to remove the /dev/files.
BUT I'd be curious to see what the lssf command outputs on the dev file - do
lssf /dev/rmt/1m
If it errors out I would also check cables/SCSI IDs/termination to make sure one of these is not the problem before I removed/recreated the dev files.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Alex Murray
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your suggestion the lssf /dev/rmt/1m list the following:
stape card instance 4 SCSI target 0 SCSI LUN 0 at&t best density available at address ??? /dev/rmt/1m
which seems to imply that it is missing the address of the device? Wouldn't this then be associated with the fact that the decice has not been claimed and the device file therefore does not know where to reference it?
Do you suggest that I go ahead with the deletion of the /dev/rmt/1* files anyway?
Thanks, Nick.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi (again) Nick,

Yes it cannot determine the HW path of the device - which I believe still implies a SCSI ID/cable/terminator problem possibility.
Believe you need to double check these physically on the drive. Power it down & visually check SCSI ID (0) & reseat the drive (if in smart enclosure).

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Marc Dijkstra
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nick

I take it from the comments that the DLT is hanging off:

ext_bus 4 10/1/5/0 c720 CLAIMED INTERFACE SCSI C875 Ultra Wide Differential

Stupid question I guess, but IS this a Differential DLT drive? I know the 8000's came in two flavours, FWD and WSE, thus the ??

If it is a badged HP, check the label, if not it will say on the mechanism itself -- also check that the terminator is DIFF.

MND

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila"