Operating System - HP-UX
1754294 Members
3150 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Question on compativility IVM versions (4.30 and 6.30)

JessussFdez
Occasional Contributor

Question on compativility IVM versions (4.30 and 6.30)

Hi all,

It is possible to run differents IVM with different versions on same VSP ?? I have a new VSP with 6.30 version installed. My old VSP is 4.30. I like migrate guest servers on 4.30 to 6.30 but other guests I cannot migrate. It is possible ??

Regards,

Jesus 

4 REPLIES 4
Stan_M
HPE Pro

Re: Question on compativility IVM versions (4.30 and 6.30)

If I understand you right, you are asking if you can have both versions V4.3 and V6.3 installed on the same VSP.

The answer to that is no.

I work for HPE
JessussFdez
Occasional Contributor

VSP has 6.3 installed. My question is If the VSP can have IVM (guest servers) with 4.3 and 6.3 running. A virtual server can be migrated from one vsp with version 4.3.

Regards

Jesus

Stan_M
HPE Pro

OK, that makes more sense.

HPVM guests are plain HP-UX instances that only have small guest components, namely virtualized IO drivers.

The guest-side SW is highly recommended to be aligned with version on VSP (unless you are after some functionality of th new version when the alignment is necessary), simply because things gets tested hat way. I do not see a good reason

for not updating these after migrating the guest to V6.3.

Another thing that comes into play is OE version of the guest OS - see HPVM Release Notes for support matrices. Again, it's likely that guests with older OE would work but it's not a tested and thus not official supported combination.

HTH

Stan

I work for HPE
JessussFdez
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Stan,
I think I understand.