1755633 Members
3480 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Configure LAN Interface" FAIL

Keith Meloy_1
Occasional Advisor

"Configure LAN Interface" FAIL

I have read posts about similar problems, but not identical...
I have a number of B180L workstations running HP-UX 10.20.
I give them all the same image using Ignite-UX.
After installing image, some of them are OK, but some show a FAIL against the first instance of "Configure LAN Interfaces" on the Start-up screen (the second instance is OK). They all have different hostids in the netid 192.168.150 with mask 255.255.255.0. The set up (netconf) is same on OK hosts as on those that FAIL.
This is causing a problem with networked applications.
Can anyone suggest what might be wrong or, considering they are all from same image, could there be a hardware problem on hosts which FAIL (this is an old system, still using 10Base2 - so using transceiver on AUI port)?
8 REPLIES 8
Analyst
Trusted Contributor

This may be netconf issue.
If the network, subnet are proper and then issue may be with the image archive and the configuration.

plz verify once again the settings
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Look at the file: /etc/rc.config.d for errors. Also check the type of LAN interface you have by running ioscan as in:

ioscan -kfC lan

If the LAN interfaces are different between each system, this is likely the problem. The FAIL condition is often due to driver config file errors. Check the status of the LAN with:

netstat -in
ioscan -kfC lan
lanscan
lanadmin

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In addition to the Bill's suggestion, please check whether the station's IP is defined correctly and equally in both /etc/hosts and /etc/rc.config.d/netconf files.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Jim Keeble
Trusted Contributor

Hi Keith.

I'm curious to know what is the symptom or error message that the networked applications see?
Keith Meloy_1
Occasional Advisor

I have checked the various things suggested, but nothing seems inconsistent. The strange thing is that when I first boot after installing the ignite image the workstations work OK (no failures, apps run OK), but when I subsequently reboot the dodgey ones I then get FAIL at first "Configure LAN Interface" and apps dont run properly. So they work first time, but not afterwards. Does that ring any bells with anyone? Could it be a hardware problem - or is that unlikely when they boot OK first time after re-imaging?
Keith Meloy_1
Occasional Advisor

In answer to Jims question... The app is a peer to peer "database" which broadcasts changes to all hosts when changes occur - it has been used for years.
One host is the others are .
If there are 4 hosts A, B, Y, Z with Z as the master and all working properly, a query of connected hosts would give A, B, Y, Z - it would be the same on all hosts.
If hosts A and B fail on "Configure LAN Interface"
Z and Y report Y, Z
A responds A, Y, Z
B responds B, Y, Z
Unfortunately delving into this app would be far from straight forward!
Keith Meloy_1
Occasional Advisor

More info!!
I have just discovered something strange. If I reboot one of the failing workstations either from the command line (shutdown -r or reboot) or by powering on/off with its on/off switch it fails as discribed above.
HOWEVER... if I crash the machine by turning the power off, when I reboot it (and after its fixed the file system) it boots OK and works properly (until rebooted). I have tried this on two failing machines.
Does this imply the network card is somehow being reset or something? Please let me know if you can think of the reason and therefore a solution. Thanks
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Does the OS contain any network patches ? Maybe it could be a good idea to install latest network patches available for 10.20 (not sure how to handle this as 10.20 has now been out of support for quite a while).

J.