New Discussion юеВ

Regarding OnlineJFS

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlvinCruz
Occasional Contributor

Regarding OnlineJFS

Hi Guys,

We have a HP RX2660 with HP-UX 11.23 installed, My question is, how do i verify if OnlineJFS is installed? And where I can get or download this? or is it included in our installer CD upon purchased?

I tried to issue the command

swlist | grep -i B3929EA
or
swlist | grep -i OnlineJFS

and didn't find any.

Also will OnlineJFS would work if i only have the software Base-VXVM installed?

Regards,
Alvin Cruz

7 REPLIES 7
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding OnlineJFS

You can verify the command if the Online JFS is installed or not

#vxlicrep

if the command shows HP_OnlineJFS = Enabled

and license number then you may ensure.
a warrior never quits
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

First, you don't have it installed.

Second, you're confusing a volume manager (VxVM/LVM) with a type of file system (VxFS/HFS). The file system can exist in either of the managers and, by extension, the online features of the file system will work also.

Pete

Pete
skt_skt
Honored Contributor
Solution

OnlineJFS is a set of enhancements for VxFS (VERITAS file system). There are three different Veritas products for HP-UX relevant to this study.

JFS - BaseVxFS (VxFS)
Advanced JFS - OnlineJFS
Veritas Volume Manager - VxVM

VxFS is the standard file system (directories and files) for HP-UX. OnlineJFS allows for online resizing a VxFS file system without dismounting the filesystem.

VxVM is like LVM in that it partitions one or more disks. Both VxVM and LVM are available for supported versions of HP-UX.

A DETAILED STUDY

The "Base VxFS" does not need a separate license and that is included to the price of the basic HP-UX license.

For HP-UX 11.00, the Base VxFS version was 3.1. But we already have a more advanced version which is OnlineJFS 3.3.

In HP-UX 11.11, the version 3.3 became the basic version and still the OnlineJFS need to be purchased separately. The next advanced version of Base VxFS is 3.5 and again the OnlineJFS need to be purchased separately.

When HP-UX 11.23 was released version 3.5 became the new basic version and the new advanced version is 4.1. But in September 2006 HP made the decision to ship all new 11.23 OE media with 4.1 as the basic one. With it, the features of OnlineJFS became a part of the basic package.

HP-UX 11.23 servers listed below with JFS version B.11.23 (which is Base VxFS version 3.5) and OnlineJFS version B.11.23.0512 (0512 stands for December 2005)

Vxlicense was the old license reporting tool prior to the version 3.5 and vxlicrep is the new reporting tool. So vxlicrep is the right tool for HP-UX 11.23 servers.

Old Command New Equivalent

Vxlicense -c vxlicinst
Vxlicense -p vxlicrep
Vxlicense -t vxlictest

AlvinCruz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information, I've confirm that the OnlineJFS is installed. Thanks again! cheers!

Alvin
AlvinCruz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

I've confirmed that Online JFS is installed by using the command

vxlicrep

Thanks again guys! Cheers!

Alvin
AlvinCruz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

I've confirmed that Online JFS is installed by using the command

vxlicrep

Thanks again guys! Cheers!

Alvin
Shrikant Lavhate
Esteemed Contributor

WElcome to the ITRC forum.

Dont forget to assign points for posts helped you really and closing of thread.

How can I "close" my threads to keep additional replies from being posted?
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?admit=109447627+1203680091856+28353475#40

How Do I Assign Points?
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?admit=109447627+1203680091856+28353475#33

-=ShRi=-

Will it remain a personal, if I broadcast it here!