2944 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: root login showing password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jamie Bratton

root login showing password

We have an L class server, which after the most recent reboot now displays the password when logging in on the console. It also allows you to backspace and correct the password.

Prior to the reboot the password was always hidden. I have checked the rc.log from the restart but can see no reason why this is happening.

I have RTFM, but can't find any explanation. Anybody have any ideas/things to check?

Cheers in advance,
Jamie
3 REPLIES 3
Carsten Krege
Honored Contributor
Solution

I'm pretty sure that this is a config problem of your console terminal. THe password is echoed.

Try this:

Press Menueconfig (left from F5) -> modes (F4) -> modify all (F2)

(the keys can be different for other terminals)

You can also try the following. For an ASCII terminal:

1) Switch terminal off
2) Press and hold the letter "D"
3) Switch terminal on
4) Release "D" after 10 seconds.

This resets your terminal to default. You might need to set your personal settings (e.g. keyboard language) again.

Carsten

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- HhGttG
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Jamie,
Carsten is right It is 100% your configuration on VT terminal. You have echo on. I had same thing happen on K-class server last week.

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Jamie Bratton

Many thanks guys, the advice resolved it completely. Simple when you know how, but I don't think I would have found the answer myself in a hurry!