1755754 Members
5119 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Running two Oracle instances on one node

Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Running two Oracle instances on one node

Have a question for you all. I am getting ready to implement a 2nd Oracle instance in a package on a node that is already executing the 1st instance in its own package via the Enterprise Cluster Master Toolkit (ORACLE.sh).

Note that the 2nd oracle instance is already executing on the node, and I intend to bring this instance down, and then to bring it up in a 2nd package on the same node. The problem is, is that the listener.ora file is configured for both Oracle instances.

Do I remove the 2nd instance from the initial listener process, and then create a separate listener process for this 2nd oracle instance? Because I know that if I modify ORACLE.sh, HP does not support it.

Any ideas?

Thanx.

Mike-
Knowledge Is Power
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Running two Oracle instances on one node

Hi Mike:

I almost certainly do this the 'wrong' way but I have done this for a long time and have yet to call either Oracle or HP for help in MC/SG Oracle packages. My preference is to move everything with the package - Oracle data, Oracle code, and the listener. If I have two packages, I have two listeners and two ORACLE_HOME's. If you choose this method, you must keep all the OS patches on the nodes in sync so that shared library code executes on any adoptive node. I do wind up using more disk space because I have multiple installs of the Oracle executables and you must test package switching after an upgrade but you should be doing that anyway.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

As Clay tell you, you need two different listener in order to solve your problem. I has two different in my cluster and all works fine for a year.

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Whe way we have this is that we have one oracle listener on each node of the cluster. Tha listener does not have anything to do with the package. It is started at the time of system startup. The Oracle binaries are also on on non-SG vg. So we have oracle installed seperately on each node. Only the database lv's are part of the SG vg and they move from one node to another with the package. When a database is started by the package on the node it gets registered by the listener. WE have multiple oracle databases running on each node.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Clay-

Thanx. This is what I was leaning towards, but I wanted to get a second opinion, since I know that some DBA's will complain about having to manage two separate listeners (i.e. having to keep up with assigned ports for several instances)..

Mike-

Knowledge Is Power
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

I guess we did it different. We had just 1 set of executable, but 2 sets of Oracle data extents. We had 2 separate MC/SG pkgs that brought up separate Oracle instances & listeners. The listeners used separate ports i.e #1 - 1521 #2 - 1522. We had on one system with 5 separate Oracles going w/the listeners using 5 separate ports.
They only time we had to have sep Oracle executables was when they used diff Oracle versions i.e. 8.05 & 8.1.6.
We never had trouble, but yes, there was admin overhead keeping the tnsnames.ora & listener.ora files up to date. It was "implied" that it was the DBA's job to do this, but we frequently had to "fill in" to keep things working.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Hello Guys-

Here's what I wound up doing:

We are running a single listener process that lists the two SID's (listener.ora). I modified the ORACLE.sh script to neither start/stop the listener process. This eliminated me from having to configure two listeners.

So I brought down the 2nd instance, did my vg stuff, and started the package. The package came up perfectly.

Thanx.

Mike-
Knowledge Is Power