Operating System - HP-UX
1759207 Members
2428 Online
108881 Solutions
New Discussion

rx6600 Is it possible to backup to disk (not DAT) when ignite backup in HP-UX?

LikeU
Occasional Contributor

rx6600 Is it possible to backup to disk (not DAT) when ignite backup in HP-UX?

I have an rx6600 HP-UX machine in my company, and I need to get an OS backup.

However, DAT is not installed, so it is in a difficult state.

1. When backing up with ignite, is it possible to mount the storage to a local disk or NFS instead of DAT and back up to that path?
2. Oracle10g is installed, will the application come up well when ignite is backed up?
3. The Oracle DB is received as a separate dump, but is it possible to back up the entire rx6600 disk with ignite, and if all disk contents are backed up and fully restored, will the normal service come up and the data be mounted normally? It seems to be a beginner question, but I can't find the data, so I'm asking a question.
1 REPLY 1
pkbin
HPE Pro

Re: rx6600 Is it possible to backup to disk (not DAT) when ignite backup in HP-UX?

Hello LikeU,

You could take OS disk ( vg00 ) backup in two ways.
1. Ignite archive  ( tape or network )
2. DRD clone

1. Since, you do no have tape, you could use network backup ( make_net_recovery with "-x inc_entire=vg00" option )  This will backup all the data present in vg00. You can designate an HP-UX server available in a network  as ignite server and use the same as Ignite-server for this client, while performing network based ignite archive from client.

You may refer "Creating and using network recovery images" section on below document for more details.
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?cc=us&docId=c04609068&lang=en-us

Kindly note: Ths will not take backup of any data part of other volume group(s) than vg00.  You must take backup of other data (application) separately using backup utility. 

2. Alternatively you can keep a clone of your boot drive ( vg00 ) on another disk of same size or higher using drd clone command option.  Kindly refer to the below document for more details.
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04204015&docLocale=en_US

Kindly note: this will only keep a clone of vg00 ( root volume group ) which is the boot disk. You must take backup of other data (application) separately using backup utility. 

I hope this helps.
Thanks

I work for HPE/ I am an HPE Employee (HPE Community)

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo